Friday, July 18, 2014

Helix - You Are KILLING Me

 
You had it all. A terrible mutating virus is released upon the scientists working on such stuff at a secret Arctic base run by the evil Alaria Corporation. After the outbreak, a team of CDC scientists arrive to deal with the crisis. What happened next was 13 episodes that were a mix bag of both fun and frustration. I am sure I would have been doubly frustrated if I had to wait 13 weeks for an ending that felt a long way in coming.

The best parts of the first season of this show was the acting and the strong storyline. Only near the end of the year did things start to feel rushed and a whole lot stranger as more bizarre elements are released that I won't spoil by talking about here. Suffice it to say that is you missed a week near the end you would think you missed more than one episode. The last two episodes feel directed and written by an entirely different team who were called in to save this show and give it a reason to even have a second season. Up until then the show was very stingy with it's secrets. It was the thing that annoyed me most about Helix. If I heard another person say that there 'wasn't time' to tell them what the hell was going on, I was gonna scream. I hate that TV cliché worst of all.

I am not saying I hated the show because I didn't. In fact I like how goofy it got near the end. I would even tune back in on an episode by episode basis to see if the ending lives up to it's potential. I want to see where the story goes from here. But no more bullshit from you Helix. If you want me to be interested, give me something to convince me that you are not another 'Under the Dome', which I have so far successfully boycotted. If someone is watching season two of that show, tell me what you think. I will not watch but I have to know of they have gotten better at exposing their story secrets.

 

No comments: