Wednesday, November 16, 2016

One Of Our Submarines Is Missing Tonight



One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums from back in the 80s - Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of Wireless. It was so futuristic yet harkened back to another time. Steampunk mixed with the 1930s. Great stuff and HUGE at the time. She Blinded Me With Science is the iconic hit from this album but One of Our Submarines is my favorite example of what Dolby did best - blending sounds electronically to create a picture in song. I see the intention there to do many things and balance all the elements to make something that is harmonious throughout. THAT is a talent.

3 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

This ranks as one of my top three favorite albums of all time; if not the favorite.

Just so damn good.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was like the first time I heard the orchestrations of ELO. It was different and complex but great. Dolby was the first to have great success with electric music. He birthed a whole genre of music and still is a pioneer. Imagine if he had computers like we have today back then. I am with you. Top three at the least and I listened to a ton of music back there. Had this one is all it's forms so I could have it with me in the car or at school.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Do you have the "Remastered" version?
https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Wireless-Remastered-Expanded/dp/B00288AXL8

I got it for my birthday and it combines several of the different releases of GoW into one set. Has both versions of "Radio Silence" and the extended versions of "She Blinded Me Witch Science" and "Airwaves".

It is so good.