Friday, February 17, 2012

My Immigant Roots


"My God she talks alot"

I always get on my mother about not telling me MORE stories about her past, espcially stories about her parents and grandparents.

My Mom's sister, Mary is staying with us for the month. She is the aunt I used to stay with for a week every summer. She would leave me alone without food to explore the city on my own. I love Winnipeg so much because I know it so well.

Today I got her to tell me some stories about my Grandfather, Steven, who happened to be a tailor who make SHEEP SKIN COATS. How crazy is it to find out that my love for sheep shearing has a genetic source?

Even stranger is the fact that he came to Canada THREE TIMES. That means he left the old country (Ukraine/Poland) to come to the New World. Then he went back for some reason. Then for an equally strange reason he returned. At this point your average immigrant would have made due in Canada but not my ancestor. No, he went back AGAIN to his home then finally stayed in Canada his third and finally time immigrating. I can only imagine the comments at the Immigration ofice. "Back to Canada, Sir? What are you smuggling in your jumper this time?"

Then he bought a piece of land between Vita and Sundown Manitoba that was nothing but berry bushes and swamp. But that is a tale for another day.

3 comments:

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

didn't know you were a sheep shearer, Man...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

If there as a channel that showed sheep shearing 24/7 I would never turn it off. I am mindlessly facinated by the whole process.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, that's spooky! Sheep obviously run in your blood. Jeez, that sentence didn't come out quite right . . . .