Thursday, June 21, 2012

I Don't See It.











But I guess when you get to the point where you have your likeness represented by plush figures you can be called obsessed. I like the fact that my collection is made up of all the characters that I like - not just every variation of one character. Not like that is a bad thing - I just like the variety I have.

I opened up the first 100 or so figures that I bought because it was so cool to smell them as they came out of the package. There is nothing that smells as good as PVC plastic. It's like 'new car' smell to me. I also liked displaying my growing army despite the fact that they could be a bitch to dust. Soon I had no more space in the bookcase I had dedicated to the figures.

Hanging them on the wall was a practical way to enjoy both the figure and the design of the packaging. As you all know I am a freak for comic design and as the figures became more and more detailed, the more I wanted to keep and display them 'mint in package'. Sometimes I just stare at the walls and appreciate the sculp and color of each figure. To me, they are mini works of art.

I don't have many 3 3/4 inch figures because their detail was never up to my standards. That is the reason I passed on the first generation Star Wars action figures when they first came out. Those can sell for hundreds of dollars a piece now. Only recently, with the Marvel Universe  line have they been able to bring complicated paintjobs and more details to the figures.




I have a large number of female figures too and have moved into collected the Manga inspired Bishoujo statues.









I also enjoy the fact that I don't look to the future value of my figures when I make a decision which ones to get. I am thankful that I have never been in the position where I have to sell off my collection. I lost a whole collection once and I don't want to ever experience trauma like that again. Besides, the value of my toys are not measured in monetary terms.

8 comments:

Budd said...

I picked up a bunch of tick figurines at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago. The ones from '93. I got a full sized Arthur and about 10 assorted mini figurines for $3.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

So is this a full panarama of the Cave of Cool?

"The Man of Steel Flies Again!" He's gone mad with power! Quick, Hide the Slim Jims!

I have that same "King Kong" poster over my dresser!

You don't have to tell me how great these Bishoujo statues look.

Kal said...

Our garage sales do not have the selection that your American ones do. Those Tick figures had such a great look to them. El Seed was my favorite.

That is only a couple of rooms worth of figues and I have several tubs full. I have to get them all in one room and make a nice full display to see for myself what I have.

Dan said...

So much fun to have there. Package design is lost in my Museum, due to opening stuff, i miss that. Love the Shadow figures!

Kal said...

I opened the first hundred or so that I bought but I started to run out of display space except for the walls. I loved the package designs so much that I just stopped opening them all together - despite how great they smell when you do that. I love that the vehicles can be played with and then can go back into the boxes.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's the trouble with collecting anything -- it takes up so much space! Even something small like stamps can get out of hand after awhile.

M. D. Jackson said...

It's a great collection. And at least you have taken the practical step of making toys that look like you rather than getting body sculpting work done to make you look more like the toys. That's obsessive.

DrGoat said...

Beautiful collection! I could spend the day there and more. I also picked up some early Tick stuff about 10 yrs ago. Got El Seed and a still in the box pain cabinet that Tick fits into.