Monday, June 4, 2012

Longmire


Katie Sackhoff and Lou Diamond Phillips? Tough talkin' sons-a-bitches who solve crimes and talk like old timey western heroes? Tough guys - long on wisdom with feeling that run deep? How could I not check this one out? What started in the worse cliched kind of way really grew on me as I went along. I have rarely seen such a strong first episode of any series.

The writing is so crisp and smooth that I felt I was dropped into a fully formed universe of characters with rich back stories. There are many story arcs that I am begging to see develop.



Viewers might not recognize the man playing Walt, but they probably will identify with him. Robert Taylor is a journeyman actor who has had leading roles in his native Australia but is making his biggest splash in the States with "Longmire." With his scratchy baritone and weathered features, he looks as though he were custom-made to play the archetypal role of a modern American cowboy.




3 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Oh, yeah. Oh... yeah...

DrGoat said...

I still don't know if I can take Lou Diamond Phillips seriously. He's like a bottom shelf Wes Studi.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Well NO ONE is Wes Studi. I remember when he showed up on Hell on Wheels. Immediately the whole production went up another ten notches on the 'awesome meter'.

I feel the same way about Lou Diamond but since Stargate Universe he's grown on me. He is very 'un-Lou Diamond' in this playing the wise indian best friend role that could be very cliche. I think Lou really wants to defy some expectation of him that even he must feel at this point in his life.

Then again I LOVE him in Stand and Deliver - the greatest teacher movie of all time.