Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cool Robot Joy











I am just in love with the box art for these robot toys. I so wish I could go back in time and scoop them up when they were first on store shelves. It would be awesome if some company started to make replicas of these toys much in the same way that Ideal re-released the 'Evil Knievel Stunt Cycle' and Playing Mantis brought back 'Captain Action.' The cost of the original robots is just out of the range of most collectors since so few of the robots survive in good condition. I already have a great cabinet in the Cave of Cool to display them if some toy company ever takes my advice. Hell I would just go for the boxes or even a poster showing, say' 25 of the coolest ones.

http://io9.com/

3 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Great fun collection there, Cal!

ThoughtCriminal said...

I got a Mr. Mercury for Christmas when I was seven. Although far short my fantasies of a universal robot servant, I had a lot of fun with it. The green army men never had a chance against it.

Doc Atomic said...

A bunch of tin robots have been reproduced over the years, including Smoking Spaceman, Thunder Robot, Lilliput, Chief Robot Man, and various others. Some of them are still a little pricey -- $75 or so -- but they're still considerably cheaper than the originals. Most repros tend to fall in the $15-$35 range. (Though a few pop at over $300 -- practically as much as some of the originals!)

While I've got a pretty decent collection of vintage toy robots -- which I write about, along with ray guns, on my blog -- I don't really have too many original boxes. They double (and sometimes triple) the prices of the toys, and that pushes them way out of my range.

It's too bad -- as you pointed out, the old artwork is fantastic. Oh well... eyes on the prize...