Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Oh Dyson - You Magnificent Bastard


You all know of my unhealthy obsession with my fans. I can't sleep unless one is blowing air all around me. I like how they mask any ambient sounds in the room with their gentle hum. I must go through five or six of them a year. Like people who know a good bottle of wine or a fine cigar I am an expert on fans. I would collect them but that just seems weird. I couldn't have even one in the collection that didn't work and I am no Mr Fix-it. The technology and look and operation of the electric fan has pretty much stayed constant for the entire history of mankind anyway.

So when I saw the picture of the new Dyson fan, I literally fell out of my chair. It has NO blades. They call it a 'Dyson Air Multiplier. That is just sexy talk! How revolutionary a shift in fan technology can this be? So no more dust accumulation on the blades? No more scaring the crap out of myself if I get to close to the blades. I am being punked, right? It seems the future is here and I got to find me one of these. Big Daddy is nothing if not cutting edge with his fans. Its akin to going from peasant vision (6 channels/rabbit ears) to cable TV to satellite TV. Once I know what is out there I can't go back. I CAN'T. I WON'T. How can I fully appreciate my current awesome fan if I can hear the call from his shiny relative beckoning me to the fan store. This is how they work:

"Air is sucked in through the base, accelerated out into the loop amplifier, then over an airfoil-shaped ramp curved in the direction of the end user. In addition, surrounding air is also collected into the airflow, resulting in an amplified stream of air."

Blades cause buffeting. The blades on conventional fans cause unpleasant buffeting because they chop the air before it hits you.


No blades. No buffeting. Air Multiplier™ technology amplifies surrounding air, giving an uninterrupted stream of smooth air.



http://thedw.us/

8 comments:

Artman2112 said...

ahhh but does it make any noise??? if not, you'll have to run another regular old peasant fan alongside it so you can sleep at night!

btw i am also "of the fans" though not as bad as i used to be.

themom said...

OMG, talk about "state of the art!!!" Like Artman2112 - I would ask the same question - how about noise? As soon as you get yours (no doubt that you will), be sure and let us know how it works for you!!

Wings1295 said...

Wow - Interesting & Awesome!!!

Mykal Banta said...

Calvin: I love the pics dipicting air flow. I had no idea that all these years I was getting hit with crappy, wedges of air. Nowadays, modern breeze lovers can get a steady, cool tube of air blown over them. aawwwsome! -- Mykal

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

How do you think I feel Mykal? This is akin to finding a jet pack on my front yard. I can never go back to choppy fans again. I can't. I won't.

Lemmy Caution said...

I like how they mask any ambient sounds in the room with their gentle hum. I must go through five or six of them a year..

Wow.....so glad to hear I am not the only one with this going on.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

So glad to hear that I am not alone with my quirks.

Wandering Coyote said...

You MUST get one of these! Besides, it looks way cool!