Saturday, October 3, 2009

Spanish Civil War Propaganda Posters

I love any kind of advertising that attempts to advance a political agenda. The Nazis and the Soviets were masters of this in early to mid 20th Century. The Spanish Civil War was in many ways a testing ground for weapons, tactics and propaganda. Both sides in the conflict quickly realized the power that images had to win supporters to their respective causes. The Nazis saw this and made propaganda a key component in their public policies. When I taught about the history of the period I often use these type of posters to make my point. The kids got so good at recognizing the iconography that they didn't need to understand Spanish or German or Russian to get the message the poster was conveying.









http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/news/the-foreboding-propaganda-posters-o-the-spanish-civil-war/

2 comments:

Wings1295 said...

The art there is just wonderful. Great share, Cal!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Holy jeebus, I love those! I'm a propaganda lover too, especially Soviet era stuff, both pro and con.