Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Batman - Under The Red Hood


I watched this film with growing anger. To see such a great story and beautiful animation only infuriated me. I was mad because I knew that this was one of the last animation features we could expect from the asshats at DC comics.

Earlier this year they stopped production on all their animated features because they felt they were not profitable enough. Their lack of foresight took away what could have been their best promotion for both their comics division and their live action superhero film efforts. I hate corporations so much.

Despite what I just said, this movie is excellent. It's a more adult tale that begins with the violent assault on Jason Todd, the second Robin, by the Joker. As in the comic book, Jason is nearly beaten to death with a crowbar and then has the building he is in exploded around him. Batman showed up too late to save him.


Five years later, a new player arrives on the gotham criminal scene calling himself the Red Hood (the identity the Joker took before he became the Joker). He wants a cut of the drug dealers profits but promises protection from both Batman and current crime boss, the Black Mask. It's clear he has the will to live up to his promises.

The story is violent and emotionally draining and for someone who knew the comic story it is based on very well, it was a thrill to watch. As I mentioned before, the animation is gorgeous and the vocal work is top notch.

Like always I was disappointed that Kevin Conroy wasn't the voice of Batman because he is the gold standard for that character's animation voice but I had to let go my notion that only certain actors can do these characters. How else can I learn to love anyone else especially Neil Patrick Harris as Nightwing. Bruce Greenwood does a terrifically menacing Dark Night.


That leads me to something else I loved about this story. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. The death of Jason Todd (who few liked as Robin at the time) was an open wound on the Bat Family. Everyone from Alfred to Dick (the first Robin - now Nightwing) are affected by the death just as much as Bruce (Batman) is. They are a real family (though one that fights crime in costumes) and I liked how no one escaped untouched by this tragedy.

What happened to Jason was monstrous and what happened next was even more so. You can't help but feel for him and what he endured. His response to all the pain is not acceptable but it IS understandable.

The action sequences are beyond amazing. The fight scenes are of the type that only can be accomplished with animation and the story doesn't let up for one second.


For those of you who do not know the story I will no spoil it for you. Guaranteed, if you are a fan of the characters, you need to see this movie. Then go to the library and take out the trade paperback of the original 2005 story by Judd Winick. It's one of the most emotionally charged Batman stories ever.

4 comments:

Sam G said...

Cal - They haven't stopped production on the DCAU...they're just not going to do a couple of flicks that they had planned on doing...like a sequel to Wonder Woman. Which sucks cause that was my favorite of all the animated films.
When the story first came out I thought the same thing (that they were going to stop production on all the DCAU) but Bruce Timm clarified it later.
The next animated movie is the Batman/Superman with Supergirl and Darkseid.
Whew...having said that I look forward to "Under the Red Hood."

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That is good to hear because I knew that 'Batgirl - Year 1' was in the pipeline. I think you will really enjoy Under The Red Hood. I thought it was terrific.

joe ackerman said...

I really like Under the Red Hood, didn't think I would, not being the biggest fan of the original comic tale, but, yeah, I thought it was cool, although SOMETHING, I'm not sure what, didn't quite sit right with me in regards to the Joker. maybe it's the voice. like yourself, whenever I think of Batman animated I think of Kevin Conroy, and, likewise, no other voice seems to fit the Joker like Mark Hamill's take, for me. and I'm glad Sam confirmed what I THOUGHT I'd heard, that the Supergirl story was next on the cards, another comic I wasn't the greatest fan of, but one that would probably work well as an animated film.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I prefer Hamill's Joker but this version scared me more than any of the cartoony ones ever did. I got why he was such a nut in ways I never did before. In September we get Superman/Batman Apocalypse with the dark and evil Supergirl and Darksied who I aways like. I just wish they would do 'Kingdom Come' - that is so my favorite story. But they need to do it in Alex Rosses photorealistic style and include those last four pages from last years Justice Society story with the Superman from that KC world.