Thursday, July 29, 2010

60 Second Stories - 4 - The X-Files Movie


The year that the 'X-Files' movie came out I was given an almost expired book of free movie passes to our local theatre. I decided to use them for matinees while I had the summer off and could enjoy a few hours in a nice air conditioned theatre with snack foods.

One of the movies I choose was the X-Files movie. Hey, it was free. When I got there it seemed like I was the only person who wanted to see it - even at no cost. It turned out that when the light went down that I was the ONLY person in the theatre.

As the trailers were running I heard a rustle of people behind me. It was three ladies with three other people. Two of the others were in wheelchairs and the other person was walking very slowly. I determined quickly that this must have been three health care aids and their disabled clients. In my ignorance I wondered if this was the best movie to take them too. Wouldn't a cartoon feature had been better?

Anyways, the aids were talking the whole time through the movie so I moved up about ten or so rows out of earshot. I was into the movie when I heard something behind me. The client who WAS NOT in a wheelchair was up and mobile. He was making slow deliberate steps down the aisle. Each step he made was accompanied by a loud, "AHHHH".

So it was step "AHHH" step "AHHH' step "AHH" as he slowing made his way towards me. I just hoped he would pass me buy, go to the bottom and make his way back up.

However, when he reached me he stopped. I tried to avoid looking at him but I had to. Our eyes met and for a second there was silence. Then he SCREAMED, "AHHHHHHHHHHHH" and I SCREAMED, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH" back.

He froze, the heath aids froze, I froze. Suddenly he turned and practically ran back to his seat at the back of the theatre while yelling 'AHHH' 'AHHHH' 'AHHH' with every quick step.

Then the two wheelchair people burst into laughter, the aids burst into laughter and I did too.

Then we finished the movie and I left. As I passed the health aids, one of them said, "Thank You, he always does that and you were the first one to shut him up long enough so that we all could enjoy a movie.

I wonder if my technique became SOP for the care and handling of the mentally disabled.

5 comments:

D.I. Felipe González said...

I watched Lilo & Stitch alone in the movie Theater. It was a matinee , but your mental friend was not around.

Drake said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Wings1295 said...

Hah! Guess he did it more to be annoying than anything. And I liked that movie.

M. D. Jackson said...

That's a weird story. But funny.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll remember that next time it happens to me.