Friday, July 23, 2010

Is 'Salt' Any Good?

I have long held the power to predict if a movie is going to be a success or a failure. Some have felt it was magic because 8 times out of ten I am correct. Now I going to share my secret with you...

If the studio starts showing trailers for a movie more than a month before it's release date, then you know it's going to be crap. Hence all the bad reviews I have been reading about Angela Jolie's latest - SALT. Hell, even my cat hated it but he has issues with her that goes way back.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it 58% and Entertainment Weekly gave it a grade of B. Let's see how it does this opening weekend.

7 comments:

Budd said...

Like most of what Hollywood is throwing at us, this ranks in my, I really couldn't care category. Who is Salt? She is that girl in the 90's group. She is pretty good singer, but I don't know about her spying ability.

The Invisible Seductress said...

Angelina fascinates me.

Kal said...

Me too, that is why I am never sure if I like her or hate her. I mean I like Brad and unless she put da voodoo on him, she can't be all bad, can she? So she likes tattoos and collecting children left too long in grocery store carts. Are those bad things? I am confused.

DrGoat said...

I guess my take on it is.. how many of these movies where a star plays the same kind of role can I tolerate. She played a great different role in Changeling, but the rest is just her Tomb Raider, guns in your face type stuff. The same goes with a lot of other stars. Hey, I like action shoot-em-ups as well as the next guy, but I have a limit.

Pat Tillett said...

I'm not sure how the movie is going to go, but I'm sure she'll look darn good in it...

Rod Barnett said...

Caught SALT today and really enjoyed it. In tone and feel its a throwback to the way spy thrillers were done in the 1980s a la THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. Because of that kind of retro feel (fuck, I'm old) I suspect it won't go over well with the 'kids'. Director Noyce made the excellent QUIET AMERICAN (which is better) and the Jack Ryan movies PATRIOT GAMES and CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER (which are worse) so that's the kind of thing you're getting. It doesn't have the futuristic sheen that most action movies have these days so it feels a bit more adult in a strange way. Worth seeing but I suspect it will not do too well.

Kal said...

Thanks for that imput Rod. I hear half good and half bad but you and I usually share the same sensibilities so I just might have to see this if only to keep my streak alive.