Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tiny Clown Cars

Tiny cars freak the hell out of me. I would be terrified driving any of these in traffic. It would be like rolling around in cardboard and would provide less protection.

They have a place in my town where they have set up tiny buildings and have cars that the kids can drive to learn the rules of the road and help their parents by teaching them not to text or talk on the phone while on the road. Those little cars go very slow but I am always afraid of hitting the kids who are learning how to cross the streets. Everything is enclosed but there are just too many distractions.

For this reason I need to be in something huge - or at least bigger than I am so that when I hit something, I will survive the impact. I so totally know what to do to keep the bus under 50 mph when the bomb is strapped under it.










5 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

At least those tiny cars have style, unlike the so-called "Smart Cars" that have infested our town. Those things are scary. There's just no doubt what the results would be if one of those things collided with a '79 Chevy.

It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Kal said...

It's like bringing a q-tip to a gunfight.

Margaret Benbow said...

These bitsy town cars are cute as heck and marketed as SO Green--but (sigh) it's true they'd be the driver's cute little green coffin if they hit anything bigger than a squirrel...

D.I. Felipe González said...

Cal, you don't live ina city as crowded as I do. I wouldn't drive other than a subcompact car in Mexico City.
When I was a teenager I drove a '70 Chevelle. I still love that car but there's no space anymore for that kind of beasts.

Wrybread said...

It seems that the author and all the commenters completely missed the point of these cars: these are CITY CARS. These are the mopeds of the car world. No one is advocating taking a long roadtrip in one of those beautiful little beasts. That's not to say you couldn't, and believe me you'd be the king of the road in a way that a Hummer could never buy.

But in general, these are for puttering around cities that don't require highway travel, or for cruising around the neighborhood, and doing it with buckets and buckets of style.