Sunday, July 11, 2010

Haven


I do so love strange and quirky shows. 'Warehouse 13' and 'Fringe' are great. They are in the vein of the 'X-Files' but with a better sense of humor and more likable characters. (Sorry, I found Mulder to be quite the gloomy gus)

'Haven' is based off a novella that Steven King wrote called 'The Colorado Kid'. A young FBI agent who we suspect has had 'weird' cases in her past is sent to the town of Haven by her boss to find and bring back into custody an escaped prisoner.

What she finds when she gets to the town of is that it seems to have more than it's fair share of people with strange abilities. Her exposure and investigation of those characters is what roots the series.

Emily Rose plays FBI Agent Audrey Parker. She is scary competent and has a sense of humor that allows her to accept what she sees at face value. She is open to new ideas and can smell when someone is trying to con her from a mile away. She is not intimidated by authority and takes joy is challenging her superiors. She has a way of doing that which is non confrontational and lighthearted so they usually let her insubordination slide. She is respected for the skills set she has as an agent.

She teams up with the detective son of the local sheriff who can't feel anything - not heat nor cold nor pain. It's a condition called autonomic neuropathy. I am interested to see how this will become relevant in the series. He and Agent Parker have a good chemistry. He instantly sees how she can be of use and I see him trusting her sooner rather than later with the town's secrets.

The Nova Scotia settings are great in this Canadian series as was the fact that Canadian sweetheart, Nicole de Boer (Star Trek DS9) was cast in it. She may be older now but she is still adorable. Veteran Canadian actor Nicholas Campbell has a recurring role as the town's sheriff.

I really enjoyed the pilot but that wasn't hard to do because this is my kind of show. I will be back.

2 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I was planning on giving this a miss, but now you have intrigued my interest.

I'll have to watch it now. I'll either thank you or blame you once I have.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

But but...