Saturday, July 17, 2010

Lucha Libre USA


How cool is this. MTV2 has a new show on that brings the excitement and pure awesome that is Mexican wrestling to the English speaking world. We got the masked warriors and all the high flying stunts that we have come to love about Lucha.

I know that it's not real fighting but the stunts these guys perform make the matches really exciting to watch. And you all know how much of a fan I am of the mask and cape 'look'.

I was a huge wresting fan growing up and I always liked the masked wrestlers the most. I remember how I first hated the Super Destroyers and then loved them when they turned good and won the AWA title. Wrestling was one of those activities I could share with my Baba. She loved everything about TV wrestling and really enjoyed having her grandchildren around to watch it with her. To her, nothing was staged or faked. Looking back now, I miss that innocent time.

There was a documentary I watched again last week about Luchadors that lend their fame to various social causes in Mexico called 'Super Amigos'. They fight for the rights of the poor, of homosexuals, the environment and animals, all while wearing their masks and costumes 24/7. That, my friends, is as close to real world superheroes that you can get.

I still am on the hunt for movies staring Santo that have been dubbed in English but so far I see no torrents out there for me to download.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Oh! I know a certain little boy in our house that would love this show!

((hugs))
Laura

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Mexican wrestling makes teabagger Jesus cry.

Cheeseboy said...

Nacho Libre was so underrated. I'll watch it.

MC said...

Dr... but Lucha Libre makes Lucha Jesus beam.

That's a lord and savior.

D.I. Felipe González said...

Google "Fray Tormenta". That's the real life Nacho Libre.