Friday, December 3, 2010

20 On Star Wars


I am not a Star Wars freak but I love all the movies so these question are relevant to me.

01. Who is your favorite character from the original trilogy?

Actually Luke Skywalker. His journey from boy to man is one of the best character arcs in the whole series. He is the one I originally connected most with.

02.How would you rank the original trilogy, in order from favorite to least favorite?

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Empire has so many terrific moments from the Hoth battle to all that happens at Bespin but for me there was nothing like the first time I saw New Hope. My adventure surrounding that first time showing was an EVENT - check it out HERE.

03. What are two of your favorite action scenes from the original trilogy?

Of course the first attack on the Death Star in New Hope - it was tense and emotional and you never really dared to hope that Luke would get the job right. Especially after he switches off his targeting computer.

The battle for Hoth was a terrific way to begin the second movie. It took us right into the whole Rebellion/Alliance conflict.

04. What do you consider the most emotional scene from the original trilogy?

Darth Vader's rejection of the Dark Side. In fact, I think that scene is even more powerful in light of the Prequel trilogy, because now we have some idea of what must be going through his head as he watches his son there, writhing on the ground from the same Dark Side lightning that the Emperor used to kill Mace Windu at the time that he first rejected the Good Side. The scene is edited together so brilliantly -- Vader stands there, watching; Luke screams "Father, please!"; Vader watches some more; the Emperor starts to get caught up in his own glee; Vader glimpses at the Emperor and sees the joy in Palpatine's eyes; Vader looks back at his son; Vader looks back at the Emperor...and then decides that he can't do this Dark Side thing any longer. That scene packs an amazing wallop for me.

I agree with the above moment but I would add the scene before the one mentioned when Luck and Vadar have their final battle (with that great music and lighting) when Luke reacts out of rage due to the Vader's mention of his sister. After defeating Vader and looking at their lost hands he realizes that he can't cross the line the Emperor wants him too then throws down his light saber in total rebuke of all things Dark Side - he is NOT his father - Terrific.

05. Do you have any favorite toys or collectibles based off the original trilogy?

I bought few of them at the time because that 3 3/4 inch size really doesn't appeal to me. If they had been made Mego sized and style I would have been all over them. I do have a fancy lightsabre that you can put together 'your way' in its original box somewhere in my connection.

06. Which character had the most unsatisfying death in the original trilogy?

That is hard to say. I totally enjoy Vader going through multiple commanders in Empire because that is funny. If anyone I would have to say Luke's aunt and uncle. I know they are burned to advance the story but they seem to be innocent. Alot of deaths like theirs (looking at you Ben) are done to advance story so none really shocked me.

07. What’s your favorite ship or vehicle from the original trilogy?

The Millennium Falcon.

08. Who is your favorite character from the prequel trilogy?

I like Jar Jar - so sue me. R2D2 got put on my radar as a cool character but it took the 'Clone Wars' TV show to really cement his greatness for me. I thought Obi-Wan the younger was pretty cool too. I learned too little about Qui-Gon and I wish we could have learned more about him in last two films of the prequel.

09. How would you rank the prequel trilogy, in order from favorite to least favorite?

Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

10. What are two of your favorite action scenes from the prequel trilogy?

The Jedi invade Count Dooko's stronghold to rescue Anakin, Padme and Obi Wan.

The Emperor vs Yoda in the council chamber - we had forgotten that Yoda was a bad ass fighter long before we met him in 'Empire'.


11. What do you consider the most emotional scene from the prequel trilogy?


The death of the younglings. So brave but ultimately doomed to die. The death of the Jedi by their clone troopers especially after you have seen how cool they are in the animated 'Clone Wars'.

12. Do you have any favorite toys or collectibles based off the prequel trilogy?

A few 'micro machine' play sets that I got out of the bargain bin. Again, the figures are too small for me and my collection. I like 6 1/2 inch figures or larger.

13. Which character had the most unsatisfying death in the prequel trilogy?

Darth Maul - he was there, he was cool, he was gone. Like the way Boba Fett went out. No matter how cool you are or maybe in despite of it, you get a goofy undignified death in the land of Lucas.

14. What’s your favorite ship or vehicle from the prequel trilogy?

Padme's silver ship. It is so reflective.

15. If you could get a personalized Star Wars themed license plate for your car, what would it say?

SLAVE 3

16. Do you have a favorite Star Wars based video game?

I love to look at the Star Wars game trailers. Does that count. The one for the Old Republic and the one with Vader's apprentice look very cool. I am too much of an old school gamer and I am afraid to take on a more advanced game lest I can't master it and then look like a total loser - I would love to play one of those games for XBox or PlayStation.

17. Have you read any of the Star Wars books (expanded universe), and if so, what are your favorites?

I read 'Splinter In The Mind's Eye' when it first came out and loved it. Now I read many of the comic books and love the 'Old Republic' stuff. Great historical stuff that expands the 'Star Wars' universe.

18. Are you a fan of the “Clone Wars” cartoon series?

It is beyond terrific most times. Really fleshes out the characters and the worlds they live in. Scenes where we see the Clone Troppers attempting to exert their individuality are great and the action moves fast. Great show.

19. What (or who) do you hope to see in upcoming Star Wars TV series?

I want no connection to anything we have seen before. Old Republic stories would be great. There are the Dark Sith to menace everyone and the Jedi are no so strong a force like the one they would become. No name actors and unknown characters. Though to do that you would have to ignore the next gen Skywalker/Solo characters and that may be a nice concept to follow too. The living up to the legacy of their name tales. Either is fine with me.

20. If you were stranded on a desert island with one Star Wars character, who would you want it to be and why?

R2D2 because he is loyal and more often than not can solve a problem you never even knew you had before he fixed it. I am also sure he has many movie and TV shows inside him to keep me entertained after I get tired of looking at the "Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope" piece of film.

6 comments:

Jeremy [Retro] said...

great q and a... about the stawars...
i was talking with my wife while watching the new star trek... wondering which franchise was more successful...

Margaret Benbow said...

I really enjoyed this post, Kal. Thank you! In regard to which scene or movie showed why Anakin turned to the dark side, I've always thought the death of his mother was the first strong clue that it could happen. It was such a moving scene and showed that he was devastated--and that his rage could take over.

Also, I've never seen this discussed, but Anakin was taken away from his mother way too young, when he was still a child, to be trained by the Jedi. This caused damage that came out later in a tragic way. Just my opinion.

D.I. Felipe González said...

Totally agree on N0.3: I love the edition of Luke's run on the Death Star trench. It's a magical moment.

Pat Tillett said...

Great post Cal!
I'm thinking I need to watch them again. I haven't seen them in so long...

M. D. Jackson said...

A New Hope (or just STAR WARS for us old folks) will always be my favourite for one big reason. I first saw it when I was thirteen. When The re-relase came out, with the updated effects, my stepson was thirteen and I took him to see it. It was a real bonding moment for the both of us.

JBond said...

Very cool meme. Waited until after I concocted my answers before I read yours and I was happy to see we agreed on quite a few occasions,

I was going to post my responses for you in your comment section...but, they're just way too long. Check over on our page if ya want.
http://culturalcompulsivedisorder.blogspot.com/2010/12/20-questions-star-wars-edition.html#comments

thanks for this, Cal!