Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Edward Curtis Photographs

I have taught on several native reserves and have a great love for our native people in Canada. One of my favorite photographers is Edward Curtis who captured the beauty and nobility of these ancient North American cultures. These are some of my favorite photos. See more by clicking the link below.

"In 1906, American photographer Edward Curtis was offered $75,000 to document North American Indians. Curtis set out to photograph the North American Indian way of life at a time when Native Americans were being forced from their land and stripped of their rights."

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/11/15/north-american-indian-photographs-by-edward-curtis/2551/









4 comments:

Tempo said...

Very cool pics, but my photographers eye says they're all staged... my other eye says WTF

Robert said...

Thanks for the link -- lovely photos.

Kal said...

I have no doubt staged in 1906 means the same it does today. But with that kind of camera you could't really have action shots.

Pat Tillett said...

Love old b&w photos!
that's history right there...