Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Warriors Way


I usually like stories like this. A time honored tale of a great warrior who gives up his life as a fighter when he is asked to kill an innocent - something that never goes over very well with the warrior's boss.

This kind of movie doesn't work my brain too much and that is always a good thing.


In this tale (that is heavy on computer generated effects) our silent lone Asian warrior and baby find their way to the old west, to the desolate town of Lode. This desert slum is full of every manner of old west stereotypes who will have to find it within themselves to let go of their faults if they are to survive the storm of ninjas that are coming to take their vengeance out on our warrior hero.


And that is basically the story. Add a Victorian travelling circus and you got everything you need to make a total mess of an action movie.

I like Geoffry Rush in everything but Kate Bosworth is too much in love with her wild western hillbilly accent and her crazy bug eyes. It's grating for most of the movie. So are most of the other characters.


But I have to admit that it grew on me. For as stupid as it was, it grew on me. I got used to it's green screen sets and it's flying ninjas. I started to view it as more of a told tale/memory than something that was actually happening right in front of me. That helped me excuse many of it's idiosyncrasies like the addition of a group of evil cowboys also bent on vengeance.

I am a huge fan of flying fighters in those Chinese martial arts movies so the aerial fight scenes get full marks from me. This one is more of pay TV watch than a rental but by the end I was interested in watching it again.

1 comment:

TS Hendrik said...

Thanks for the review Kal. I hadn't made up my mind whether or not to watch it. I'll wait till it hits redbox.