Sunday, June 10, 2012

4 More You Weren't Sure I Liked


7 Brides For 7 Brothers - Nothing I love that a good musical where I know all the lyrics to all the songs. I appreciate the ludicrous nature of this hillbilly sing-a-long. When one of the girls has the name DORCUS, and everyone calls her that with a straight face, then I know I gots me a winner. I could have chosen to highlight The King and I or The Sound Of Music but those two films deserve posts all of their own. This one is not as famous but just as satisfying. It was the GLEE of it's day if that helps me sell it to you. This one also deserves a Broadway revival.






13th Warrior - If I HAVE to die in the 13th Century than it might as well happen while I am doing something important or foolishly brave. This scene near the final is one of many that show how perfectly the Muslim and Christian and Pagan religions can find common ground when faced with a common foe. There are great moments of humanity and brotherhood in this film but also great humor - a dark humor that comes from knowledge that you may die at any moment. I defy you to show me a greater movie KING that Bovine. Now before you say Aragorn I advise you to watch the clip again.






Streets of Fire - Everything about the 80s and movies in the 80s can be summed up by this film. Nothing is real but everything looks good. Everyone has a place and a role to play in this little rock and roll fable. Diane Lane has never been sexier and more vulnerable and Michael Pare is old time western cool as Cody. He was also in Eddie and the Cruisers, another fantastic movie from the same period. Love the soundtrack and think this one would be a huge hit if retrofitted for Broadway.






The Blood of Heroes - One of Rutger Hauer's lesser known gems. He and Joan Chen play gladiator athletes in a post apocalyptic wasteland. A game for dog skulls is a popular sport and if one is good enough and vicious enough, they can rise to the highest ranks of their society. Vincent D'Onofrio also has a strong part in a brutal but exciting anti-sport movie. This would make a good double bill with the original Death Race 2000.



1 comment:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Seven Brides is one of my favorite musicals ever! The period sexism is a bit hard to swallow at times in the movie, but...it's just so good-natured and the songs are fantastic, and the dialogue is snappy, too. Highly underrated movie!