Monday, May 18, 2009

iCarly is Cool

I was holding back of posting about this show for a long time but I can no longer kept it to myself. I gots me some mad love for any of those Nickelodeon comedy shows or Disney shows with the young stars. They are just safe and fun. As a teacher I see kids that watch any and everything that is totally inappropriate for their age. Sometimes its nice to find something that doesn't talk down to them but is fun and fresh at the same time; the kind of program that adults can enjoy at the same time as their children for as cliche as that sounds. iCarly is such a show. Its the story of three junior high kids that have their own internet comedy show. The three child leads are very appealing and are fully realized characters. Every class I have ever taught in that age range has a sweet Carly (Miranda Cosgrove), fiesty Sam (Jennette McCurdy) and goofy moma's boy Freddy (Nathan Kress) in it. Their relationships are not exaggerations and the show never stoops to make fun of them in a way that is hurtful or exploitive. Jennette McCurdy's Sam is a particular standout. Her ways of abusing poor Freddy (who has a crush on neighbor Carly) are very entertaining. Carly is the level-headed one, Sam is argumentative, hot-tempered, sarcastic, stubborn, and at times intimidating (wikipedia) but in a sweet way that covers her dysfunctional home life. Carly's older brother Spencer (Jerry Trainor) is more of a child then the kids themselves and his wacky inventor skills and twisted look at the world never fails to amuse me. So if you have kids or can put yourself back in that time of your life and want to watch a REALLY funny show, check out iCarly.



6 comments:

Sabrina said...

Carly's brother Spencer is played by Jerry Trainor. ;)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Opps.Thanks for catching that for me.

Chase March said...

Hi Calvin,

There are some great programs that are appropriate for kids. I can't understand parents who let their children watch shows like Family Guy or horror movies.

There are some great shows on television for each and every age group. Thanks for highlighting one of them.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

I really like this show, and I'm glad you blogged about it!!!!

On a more confusing side...
YOU'RE A TEACHER?

I would have never guessed. What grade?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

All grades from k-adults over my time. Took this year off to do some things I never had the time to do before. And just so you know...it was the kids who made me so weird. I was normal once. What did you think I was Nicole? Oh I know...an astronaut right? (I always tell people that is what I do anyways...lol)