Friday, May 22, 2009

Strange Tales






If I had a kid I would totally festoon his/her room with these covers. There are few things I love (artistically) more than these old monster covers. All Stan Lee or Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko would need was a name and the monster would draw and write themselves. I have an old trade of the best of these that I am proud to say is tattered and worn from overreading. The kids would fight to have it for free book time. And if you want to teach a child to read? Put away your illustrated children's dictionaries and pic up one of these. I know from experience that nothing works better.

2 comments:

Reis O'Brien said...

Fin Fang Foom! The greatest monster name ever! When I was a kid, I somehow adopted the words, "fin fang foom" as my magical spell casting words. No idea why. I just remember making Skeletor say it and then sending blue arcs of alectricity at He-man.

Later on, I would rediscover where I got it from and realize it was the name of a dragon-beast.

Also, Gorgola sounds like a delicious cheese.

Reis O'Brien said...

And by "alectricity", I mean electricity.

I think I just invented some sort of hops and barley based power source.