Sunday, May 17, 2009

Really Cool Fact of the Week


"One of my favorite chocolates…yummy!! But trust me I never noticed the brilliant logo while enjoying my bar. You must be thinking what is there to find out as it clearly shows the Swiss Alps? Let me explain…Toblerone originated in Bern, Switzerland - A city whose name is rumored to mean, “City of bears”. When you look at it again you will find a bear in the logo."

Bern is one of my favorite cities in the world. When I was 9 our whole class took a Eurorail trip to several European capitals and in Bern we visited the actual Toberone factory. They wouldn't let have any chocolate although you could smell it in the air for the entire tour. However, at the end they handed us a cardboard box with a little handle like the one that Timbits come in. After giving us hairnets, plastic booties, latex gloves and plastic ponchos, they led us into a huge room with large plastic crates. These contained all the broken chocolate pieces that didn't make their way into packaging. We could fill up our boxes and eat our fill. Its was one of the greatest moments of my life. Never felt so sick on chocolate but it was heaven. I remember a friend of mine (who no doubt became an architect) telling all of us that if we stacked our pieces a certain way (like a log cabin) we could take twice as much as we could just tossing it randomly into our containers. He was a brilliant magnificent bastard!

No comments: