Friday, August 21, 2009

Ah The British Tabloids...You Never Let Me Down


One of the great things about shows like Big Brother UK is that you get an insight into the subtle cultural differences of a country compared to what we are used to here in North America. I am most pleased to be in Canada (which has a unique place in the world) where we really see and experience an entire 'world' culture. Movies from India and Europe, TV from the U.S., Britain, and Australia as well as our own stuff along with music from everywhere. Many other nations tend to be rather ego centric. Great Britain and the US being among the most often uninterested in what is happening away from their own borders. Big Brother UK is quintessentially British. The language has certain slang and catch phrases (like referring to cigarettes as FAGS - never get used to that one) and its really a heavily media driven culture that can be more intense than the media culture of the United States. Tonight's episode of Big Brother 10 was no exception. The housemates got to peruse some tabloid magazines after being basically sequestered from all world news for what is going on 11 weeks. They are freaking out about the rumours and speculation and especially the wacky nicknames the British press love to give to people. Bea is a particularly crazy ass bitch and the press have dubbed her 'Bonkers Bea', a name that will stay with her as long as 'Wacko Jacko'. Even cute innocent Sophie is caught up in the scandal sheets. Her guy Chris was evicted 9 weeks ago and they had drunken sex in the house before he left. Sophie admitted as much to Noreen. Now, Sophie, who DOES look heavier and eats those sausages like she is eating for two is freaking out to know what everyone knows now. The show has a HUGE following so every bit of minutia is over analysed to death. To hell with truth because tabloids know that its all about the story and the sales. I have purposely avoided those online sites this time to avoid knowing more than I wanted to about the housemates either inside the house or evicted because it made the game more fun for me to play without all that outside stuff. So like the housemates I am loving this explosion of 'reality' that they have been suddenly covered with. I SO want to go read all the juiciest bits but I can do that all when the show is over. Oh shit..there goes 'Bonker's Bea' complaining to the diary room that they are calling her 'Bonkers' of course proving the point that she is batshit crazy. That is great stuff. I know...I am a sad and pathetic middle aged white man from the frozen north. See what living that lifestyle does to you, kids? Learn from me. Go outside. Its too late for me so let me be the pop culture puppet that I am and give me this tiny piece of enjoyment from deep inside my Classic Canadian Cave of Cool. I saved this world enough times to at least deserve that but I have said too much already. See this is why I should write this stuff full time cause look what great copy I got out of 17 minutes of show?

No comments: