Tuesday, October 6, 2009

2000+ Posts - Celebration and Thanks


How could I miss this momentous occasion. I have past 2000 postings in little more than a year. Sure most of my posts are short but they represent 2000+ musings from my own fractured mind and all the various minutia that either delights or annoys me. I couldn't have gotten this far without all of you out there who visit daily and especially those who comment on a regular basis. Who would have thought a year ago that I would have nearly 100 people willing to consider themselves a follower of my little corner of the interwebs? Not me that's for sure. I encourage you to check out my blog roll and follow the people that I do. Each of them is a master of what they do. They never fail to impress me with the sincere effort they put into their posts be in just an image, a review, or a long diatribe against the ills and evils in society. They are the reason I always come back to my work. So that I keep up the high standards they inspire. In that light I wish to highlight a few of my favorites. If I missed you then you need to comment more often so that I get to know you.

Electric Cerebrectomy - The man is already stinky and knee deep with awards and he was the one to pass some onto me. I am always impressed with the depth and detail he puts into any topic he is writing about. He always extends my opinions beyond the superficial. He is scary smart...evil genius smart and I would welcome him into the
Lair of Doom (kitty korner from the Cave of Cool) anytime.

Shine - Just the kind of girl that takes NO effort to adore. The fact that in real life I would not chase after her despite my deep attraction for her speaks volumes of the high esteem I have for her sense of humour and the crazy bravery with which she attacks life and attacks it she does. She is better than me. She is better than all of us. Every clubhouse needs a token girl and she can climb the ladder anytime.

Darius Whiteplume - the first person I sheepishly asked for permission to nick a pic from his site Adventures in Nerdliness. He couldn't have been nicer to me. Recognizing my love for Milla and Cheeseburgers and red heads he gave me my first shout out on another blog so the fact that I am insanely dedicated to my Cave of Cool and its postings is partially his fault. He runs a tumblr site that seems to be the scrapbook of his mind and I find that we share many of the same attractions and demons.

Wings at Caffienated Joe. He went on Vacation for a week and I found myself wandering aimlessly though the night. On those days when no one commented on a post and thus validated my existence he always found the time to let me know that I was awesome. One of the people I wish I lived closer too cause I feel we could be real world friends. Like any good friend he indulges my whims and supports my rants against the cephalopod menace despite the fact that he vacationed at the beach.

His daughter Nicole. I have taught more than 20 years. If I see one or two kids a year that display the kind of scary potential to develop into a great person...I mean a person that changes the world, I am lucky. Nicole is one of those kids. Creativity and brilliance is rarely found in equal measure but in her they are. I have a feeling I will be reading her novels or screenplays or stage plays one day and resenting her the way Saliari resented Mozart. I will NEVER be that good (and I am freakishly creative myself) Its not a chore or a con to encourage her. Its a privilege to see the small fraction of her talent that I am exposed too.

Lisa Mynx. She will hate me mentioning her or giving her praise like a vampire hates the sun. This year I couldn't have done the things I have without her often brutally honest appraisal of my flaws. That sounds like a bad thing but its not. Shiny beads and shallow flattery are so easy to come by these days. She loves me enough to risk our friendship when she points out why I fail. She is Yoda to my Luke and I can't help but disappoint her daily. Some days I hate that she says what she does but NEVER do I dismiss her observations. Only a fool would do that. I have never met anyone who sees the world the way she does. If the zombies ever do rise up..or the aliens attack...TRUST ME...SHE is the one you want in your jeep as you try to stay alive in a post apocalyptic wasteland. I try to be worthy of her trust and admiration everyday.

Booksteve - Whenever Lisa makes me crazy I can always count on Steve to listen to my whining. He has more knowledge about comic books and pop culture that almost anyone I have ever met. His movie sites remind me of movies I should have seen but haven't already.

Geek Orthodox - Riess wears his Luchador mask with pride and is my gateway into serious action figure collecting. He know more about the figures that I may have missed than most anyone out there. He keeps me in touch with my Conan roots and inspired me to write about what I love and never let anyone influence my topics or opinions. He is one of the ones who is most to blame for the content of my blog but in a good, nay great way.

Cora - just radiates decency and love. Reminds me of those elementary teachers that have abundance love and patience for the craziness around her. No matter how nuts I would get to just DEAL with Junior High or High School kids she would always have my back and if I ever go on the water tower again with a rifle she is the one I would want to talk me down. I SO want her to ride into the colored sunset in her pumpkin carriage surrounded by animated birds with her boy Scope..another thoroughly decent GUY...no..I rephrase that..he is a MAN...a real mensch...I have been reading her honest post and following their romance for awhile now and we all WISH we could have the love that these two crazy kids have for each other. And they do it while separated most of the time by the distance they are apart. Keep your reality TV..these are the people E Harmony should be making commercials about.

Michael May - My 'brother from another mother'. No one seems to enjoy the same images and music that I do like Brother May. He is a comic creator who is actually living the dream we all have to write or create their own comic book. I am very proud to see his dream coming to fruition. His movie and TV reviews have led me to many awesome viewing experiences. He is another of the blog buddies that I know I would be good friends with in real life.

Monkey Muck - another magnificent bastard. I would love to just hang out with this guy and listen to him opine about the daily news or people passing by on the street. He has that angry kind of snark that makes me laugh. His site is honest stream of consciousness brilliance that often says all that really needs to be said on a subject. I find myself rarely if ever in disagreement with his opinions and that validates me like he will never know.

Wandering Coyote - Like Cora, Wandering Coyote write honestly about her opinions and experiences and is an inspiration to me. She lives around where my Father grew up and every time I talk to her or read about her home town musings or see the pictures she takes of the area, I feel that I am closer to my Dad.

Mykal is someone I forgot on my first go around. He seems to keep the same crazy hours that I do. You have to visit his site for some of the best, most detailed reviews of old movies from the atomic age. His blog also has one of the sweetest designs I have seen in a long while. Damn creative people. I love the name he gave his cat (Bad Jerome) so we share the belief that when our kitty overlords take over that we will be just fine with that.

11 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

Thank you, sir. I'm always surprised whenever anyone likes anything with my fingerprints on it, so thank you very much. I always thought of myself as more stinky with stink than with awards.

Congratulations on the daily musings. I catch them all day long, and it makes me feel like there's at least one other person out there who gets a lot of the same things I do.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Thanks so the kind words and congrats on over 2000 posts. You and I have took to this blogging thing like ducks to water and it took me awhile to find you but I'm glad I finally did my Canadian brother.

Wings1295 said...

Great post, Cal. And how nice of you to single out all your friends here. And I, sir, am glad to be one of them. It is a pleasure knowing you, warped though you may be. Hah!

And thank you for the very kind words about Nicole. She is an amazing little firecracker, ain't she? ;)

Here's to thousands more transmissions from that Cool Canadian Cave!

Wandering Coyote said...

Thank YOU, Cal! You never cease to open my eyes about something out there in the world of cool shit - even if it's whacky pizza cutters. You are also hilarious and I crack up a lot when I read your blog - which is something I really appreciate!

Wandering Coyote said...

PS. I am also very touched that my blog helps you feel closer to your dad. That's a lovely compliment and I am really honoured.

Ricky Shambles said...

Super-props, sir! I recently did 1000, but didn't hit that for about 3 years.

I salute your dedication!

Nicole said...

I am so proud of you! Over 2000 posts and each one is always unique, different, and interesting to read! And I love how you commented on each and every one of us who sits at a computer and voices our opinions - and I love how you love me! Thank you sooo much, that is uber nice! I need a better word than nice... Hmm... I need a thesaurus... Okay, I got one! That is uber likeable, agreeable, admirable, amiable, approved, attractive, becoming, charming, commendable, considerate, copacetic, cordial, courteous, decorous, delightful, ducky, fair, favorable, fine and dandy, friendly, genial, gentle, good, gracious, helpful, ingratiating, inviting, kind, kindly, lovely, nifty, obliging, okay, peachy, pleasant, pleasurable, polite, prepossessing, seemly, simpatico, superior, swell, unpresumptuous, welcome, well-mannered, winning, and winsome! Thank you very much! Love you, too, Cal!!!! <3 And congratulations again on your 2000+ posts!

Word Verification: wityllac

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thank you for your comments everyone. I was sincere in what I wrote so if you ever feel that your work is not appreciated please go back and read what I wrote. I know I will be doing the same with the gift your comments gave to me. Especially YOU Nicole. Even though you often side with our octopus enemies you have no excuse now to not live up to your potential now. We ALL are watching.

Cora said...

Awww, Cal, I can't believe I missed this one!! I got waaayyyy behind on my blog reading and some posts fell through the cracks. *sniffle*

Thank you so very much. You just made my day.

And congratulations on 2000 posts! WOWZA!!

Okay, I'm going to go email this to Scope now.

:-)

Scope said...

It's all her. She makes me better and makes me WANT to be better.

lisa said...

didnt expect that...