Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Human League


Ally was talking about the 80s group, THE HUMAN LEAGUE in her post tonight and that just took me back.

When I was working at Penhold Cadet Camp in the summer of 82 (between grades 11 and 12 for me) I worked with the photography unit and was an instructor and camp photographer. We worked mostly in black and white film so that the kids could learn how to develop their own stuff and how to do effects with the enlarger.

I was photographed a lot that summer. (And why shouldn't I have been. I was a beautiful boy back then). This was my favorite picture and is the coolest one ever taken of me. The uniform and the black and white nature of the film makes it look like I was in WWII (and maybe I was).

I totally remember this moment and the cassette that was playing on the Walkman I am listening too. It was THE HUMAN LEAGUE - DARE. I played that cassette to death. I loved their stuff. In fact when we were off duty we would wear dark eyeliner and comb our short hair to look like 80s glam rockers.

WHAT? It was the style back then. Hell, I could have been into Boy George and aped HIS style. I wonder where that would have led me. GAH!

9 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Wow! That's a great photo! It does have a certain old time vintage look to it.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Aah, you were a beautiful boy, and look at that handsome mustache. Looks just like you.
xoRobyn

Sam G said...

That is a great photo. Was this the same album that had "Fascination"? Loved that song.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yeh, I would hope so. Or who have I been impersonating all these years.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yeh, same album Sam. Every song was good on that one.

Tempo said...

Who?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Human League rules almost as much as that old photo of you does.

DEZMOND said...

DON'T YOU WANT ME still is one of my favourite 80's classics!

M. D. Jackson said...

I listened to the entire album over and over again as well, but that was only because my younger brother kept playing it. It was one of his favourite albums. I preferred Queen and David Bowie.