Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Room

Brother May just did a post showing his cool office so I thought I would do the same. This is my favorite space in the 'Cave of Cool'. I love all the colors and neat things you can find there.

When my Dad died many people came over to my place to give their condolences to me and my family. One of my mother's friends had her son come to pick her up but she wasn't ready to leave. She told him to come inside and have a drink and take it downstairs and bring me one. My mother told me he resisted that, not knowing me and thinking that some loser must live in that basement. He reluctantly stomped down the stairs and when he hit the bottom I remember him stopping cold and looking around the room in amazement. It changed his whole attitude and he stayed for a few hours and we talked about toys and comics. It was a cool thing at that time.


That clear case was once in a jewelry store but my Dad saved it and we found it makes a perfect holder for loose action figures. It has a light that illuminates everything and a motor to move the figures around for better viewing. You can also look behind and see where I had to remove the stupid ceiling panels that I first installed before realizing that they rained tiny flecks of white stuff all over everything due to the stuff they were finished with. Too much dusting and vacuuming.


That Superman post was one I got dry mounted on cardboard and represents the nearly 1000 folded posters I have in my collection. The guy who I bought my comics from for years would include them in the boxes that he sent me. Alot of cool art from some of the greatest creators in the last twenty years in that stack.


I love that Superman bank and my Dr. Evil, Captain Action and Kid Action figures. The Dr Evil is not the one from the Austin Powers movie but comes with a cool ass medallion and sandals. Groovy.


This is the wooden keg I bought in Singapore for 5 dollars.


The Thor I won in one of those bar claw machines. The Dr Evil I found at Value Village for a dollar and the Spider-Man was a gift from a class of kindergartners I taught once a week.


My Dad's trophy for being best cadet in 1956. My grandfathers little drawer set for all my smaller trophies. I love that Dr. Doom mug. Finally, my Etruscan horse and my Spider-man lunchbox. But what the hell is with that beach towel as a bookcase cover? I never noticed how stupid that looks.

21 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Your even more collector obsessive than I am. You wouldn't have any kits you'd be willing to part with wouldja?

Drake said...

Your Cave has the coolest stuff. :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I don't damn it or they would be your's Warren.

TS Hendrik said...

Sweet mercy man, you really do have a cave of cool. I hope you realize if I ever find myself in Alberta I'm inviting myself over cause... dang.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I told you I did. That is what my Dad would call it. And you are welcome over anytime my brother.

Sean said...

Hey, what is in the Mars Attacks box? Cool stuff!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That is the Mars Attacks Alien Spaceship. I have the Marian Girl figure too and several of the other soldier figures like the talking ambassador.

M. D. Jackson said...

You know, I always wondered where all the stuff I had as a kid ended up after my parents threw them out. Now I know!

But how'd you get them back in their original packaging?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I got MAD skills brother.

Wings1295 said...

Wow - Now that is one hell of a Cave, Cal!!!

DrGoat said...

Beautiful collection Cal. And you've got room to put it in. Yours is indeed THE Cave of Cool.

chunky B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chunky B said...

Nice collection Cal, I could spend hours going over each photo checking out all the great stuff!

Budd said...

you could always pick up an Ironman or Spiderman beach towel to replace it.

SamuraiFrog said...

Damn! That is a cave of awesomeness. I vowed when I was a teenager that one day my house would look like the inside of a comic book store, and I respect anyone who does the same. I especially love that keg!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Remember I have no wife (even one as wonderfully geeky as yours SF) to tell me my stuff had to go.

Megan said...

Where do you hide the time machine? Or have I said too much?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

SHHHHHHH Megan. Or that trip you want to take back to the Jazz Age (you are such a flapper) will have to be put on hold.

Ken O said...

Great pictures. That keg is epic and I am jealous.

Pat Tillett said...

WOW!
I am impressed. You really have a lot of cool stuff. No doubt worth a pretty penny as well...

Michael May said...

Holy crap! You really do live in a cave of cool!

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. Still getting caught up on the Internet from vacation earlier this month.

Thanks for sharing this though. Very awesome.