Thursday, December 2, 2010

Another Guinness Record - Bah


I figured that after a chili made it over 1 million Schoville Units (which measures the amount of the active ingredient capsaicin that a chili has) that we would stop trying to break this record.

I hoped this if only to spare those goobers who endanger their health and comfort when they consumed these killer chillies. In comparison, Jalapeno peppers, the most popular, are only around 5000 Schoville units. Puppy poop.

I like my food spicy but not suicidal spicy and I HAVE eaten food from an Hindu wedding so I know from hot. It just seems when you go beyond a hotness that is impossible for humans to enjoy and could possibly be deadly, you just need to stop.

Now if hot, hot chilli's can fuel my jet pack....keep experimenting.

These mega chillies are not only used for foods but have military applications as the article contends,

"The Indian Government has been examining ways of using the very hottest chillies such as the Bhut Jolokia to produce a spice bomb that would completely incapacitate enemy soldiers without killing them.

Earlier this year they created an 81-mm tear-gas like grenade which could be thrown by a soldier. The mix of spices and phosphorous chokes the enemy’s respiratory tract, leaving targets barely able to breathe for a time.It also causes severe stinging to the skin as well as streaming eyes, a burning throat and disorientation."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Cal,

Have you ever had the DanDan over at Wok Box? It's scary hot but soooo good. But you gots to pay the toll twice *ha*.

Kal said...

I know only six of the words you typed. Where is the Wok Box? I must test this weak ass hot food you speak of.

Tempo said...

I love hot..but there are limits. Recently I bought hot chillies from a nice Asian woman at a market, she smiled and said they were hot... Hell yeah! One bite and your eyes go blind, your head spins and the pain is unbelievable. (no kidding) Temporary blindness from a chili... I know when to stop..
Anyone want to buy a near full jar of chilies?

M. D. Jackson said...

When my wife was pregnant she didn't like spicy foods (normally she loves it) We went to a restaurant and ordered a meal. My wife asked the waitress if it was spicy. The waitress, who was a young latin woman said "No. Is no spicy"

When a latin woman tells you it's not that spicy, don't believe her. It's spicy.

As with everything, spicy is relative

DrGoat said...

We love our spicy Mexican food here in Tucson, but once were in an L.A. chinatown restaurant and my I asked to have the dish seasoned like they would have it for themselves at home. I got 2 bites into it and was pretty much incapacitated for a few minutes. Bloody hot. As far as easing the pain, lemonade works for me.

Pat Tillett said...

I like hot also, but at some point, it ruins the food and it's all about heat. I don't want any part of that...