Thursday, December 23, 2010

Quote Of The Day and My Christmas Wish


“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit at a typewriter and bleed.” — Ernest Hemmingway

I am a big fan of this guy. I know he was a drunk and he was a dick at times but he was a powerful writer and he loved his kitties - well except for the one ones he shot in his youth in Africa. I hope to age the way he did - angry at my underlings but still respected for my talent. I mean I do live my life by the motto - 'Don't be a Dick'. Is it really so bad to add the addendum - 'until you have to be a Dick'


For example. I am feeling some powerful ennui this holiday season. I have gone nowhere near anything festive because I am not getting sucked into that feeling of the season that always lets me down. I have very few family and friends so they got taken care of earlier in the year. So that leaves me alone to myself at this time.

That is okay but it makes me think about those of you out in the blogverse that I connect with on a weekly if not daily basis. I answer every comment that is made at my site (or 95% of them) and it's great when someone returns the favor with things I leave at their posts.


Thankfully there are only a few that ignore what I write but they do it with such frequency that it almost feels personal. If I didn't respect them as creative people, I wouldn't care but I do respect them so much that I wish they understood how much a notice would be appreciated.

I would also like to thank the ladies like Megan, Robyn, Invisible Seductress and Danielle who let me be playful with them and remind me that I am a guy - a real live boy. Any of you girls out there, try to remind the men in your life that you notice how cool they are sometimes.

I miss the 'good old days' when a bunch of us (Pat, Cotton Blossom, Alex J, Copy Boy, Powerded Toast Man, TS, Reputation@stake, Robyn, would start a stream of consciousness back and forth at TS's site and it would become this great loony tune of fun. I wish those things happened more often. But you got to have a community that communicates with each other to get that.


Thanks to Nick, MD, and Jaquandor for always giving me postive feedback about things and especially my girl Pearl who makes me laugh and has the stamina of a prairie buffalo. I would love to be her writing partner. We would write and write and write until the iceberg we were on melted in warmer waters and then our publishers would pick us up. We would be so funny that we would make '30 Rock' look like 'CSI Miami'.

I wish Abbey would reply to something I say on her blog, just once, so I know that she doesn't think I am creepy.

I miss talking to Wings since he has pulled back and I miss hearing about how Nicole is growing up so great. I wish I could talk to her sometimes. I wish I could talk more to Michael May because I love the stuff he does and we share too many interests to list

Thanks to MD and Sam for doing art for the 'Cave of Cool'. Your stuff is the best around and I am glad you get some exposure from my little corner of space.

Thank you to everyone who I met and interacted with all year. Some I got closer to than others and those who chose to share with me have no idea how much your validation means to me. If I could I would give you my one wish and that would be that all your wishes come true.

My unlimited love to you all - Calvin

16 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I feel you on the holiday ennui front, Cal. I am having a fair share of my own.

I hope you find some peace this Christmas, and that you are able to do something pleasurable so it's not such a burdensome time.

Take care.

Dr. MVM said...

Happy holidays to you my friend. I choose not to respond to comments on my blog because I'd rather use that time to comment on other people's blogs. I'm not ignoring you or anyone else. I can either respond to comments or leave comments.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Ah, Cal, you are the man of cool. I remember when I first commented on yours (or maybe TS's) blog and said I was confused about your argument but "I believe..." You responded that you were confused too. That's how the discussions went. I miss the good ole days too.
Love to you,
xoRobyn

Sam G said...

Right back at ya Cal. Thanks for such awesome blogs.
Please take care my friend and Merry Christmas.
BTW - I sent your watercolor paintings last week. Be on the lookout.

Paladin said...

A Merry Christmas to you, Cal!

I know its hard not to take the comment response thing personally. I get to feel like I "know" people from reading their blogs especially when they write about personal things. I have to remind myself that its often a one-way mirror through which I see their lives, though. Too - its often difficult just to find the time to post blog entries and read other blogs they enjoy. Responding to comments can become a chore.

Its still nice, though, to get a head nod once in a while :)

And as for Hemingway?... He kept polydactyl cats. How awesome it that! I'm a dog person, but even I think that's cool.

Wings1295 said...

Sorry for being away so much, Cal. Life just has that way, I suppose. But hey, we are friends, drop me a line on FB, we can always chat there.

Wings1295 said...

And Merry Christmas, buddy!

Kal said...

I am very prolific and I know it so if I crunched the numbers I get alot of comments but they are just spread out over a larger number of posts. Plus how many times can a person say that they pointed at the monitor and say "Cat say funny thing."

DrGoat said...

Apart from a few comments elsewhere, yours is the only blog I have left words on. You're a great guy Cal. Hope things swing your way in the coming year.
Buon Natale and Happy Tiki time.

DEZMOND said...

Merry Christmas to you Cal and to everyone whom you mentioned in the post and to everyone who visits the CAVE OF COOLNESS!

Michael May said...

Though I comment as much as I can (I'm usually surfing on the fly), I'd love to talk to you more too. There've been a few times when I wished I had an email address for you just so I could send you a link I knew you'd like.

Email me anytime at michaelmay@michaelmay.us and I'll save your address.

I'll try to get better about the commenting too. :)

Rod Barnett said...

Have a Merry Christmas and a great weekend my Northern brother! You always put a smile on my face.

csmith2884 said...

I have to thank you up and down..your blog is a gift everyday of the year. Your wit and scope of interests don't mirror mine in every way, but intersect in more ways than any others. I am happy I found a place where people as nuts as me are understood.

Kal said...

What's your point C.S.? Nah I getcha. I am glad you are here to read and comment. Means alot to know I reached someone from the far reaches that I call home.

M. D. Jackson said...

I haven't had time for ennui. When I was a kid all I had to do was show up and everything got done for me. Now I'm Dad and I'm the one doing it all. We've had both my daughters at the house, a stream of visitors and the phone ringing off the hook. It's December 29th and I've only just had a few moments here and there to get online. I'm ttying to catch up with all your posts but you're a prolific man, dare I say it, the Hemmingway of the Bloggerverse.

We'll have to do some catching up eventually.

Kal said...

MD - one day you are going to have to share a family picture with me.