Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Open Letter From Cal


Let me tell you what is wrong around here. I do this little feature where I put a funny caption to a picture (usually a cat) that I find on my daily Internet travels. Often I get right to the psychological heart of the situation by bringing forward my advance knowledge of 'LOL catspeak' and the self-centred nature of the domesticated feline.

Now I see some of you toss me an 'atta-boy' and an old soup bone to gnaw on in appreciation every once in awhile. I appreciate Belle and Debra and Daisy who always have something good to say about the effort.


I used to let all that bother me but not anymore. Well that is not true. I have decided to no longer try to understand why I get over 1100 hits a day but the same 20 people making comments. Its maddening but one of the secrets of the universe that I just can't waste anymore of my brainpower to think about or solve.

I know I go overboard with most every regular feature around here. Is that causing blogger fatigue? Have I broke your spirits with my prolific nature? Have we seen the enemy and he is me?


You see, I also post my captioned pictures on Tumblr, where, if I have scanned hundreds of archives properly, I can see my work being celebrated - not secretly ridicule and scorned (I am talking right to you Mr Simon Tik Tok of Djibouti)

Some people from my own bloglist will repost my captions on Tumblr but never express a favorable opinion about the work back here at the 'Cave of Cool'. It's like I am their dirty little secret.


However, I know you are out there because I have seen your Tumblrs and you can't hide your love for the awesome little world of talking animals with deep interpersonal issues that I have created for very long.

Stop fighting the wit and giggle along with me or so help me GOD I will start to caption baby pictures. Things have finally reached THAT turning point in our relationship.

Govern yourselves accordingly.


These things should be running as a strip in the daily papers or as a feature on other sides EXCEPT 'Me Can Haz Cheeseburger?" They snubbed me once and changed my caption. Sacrilege. There is a reason you don't mess with an artists integrity.

I can't even get my 'Daisy' captions reblogged at Daisy's own site and she is my muse. Artists who have done work for me NEVER show off my commissions on their sites (except for M.D. Jackson).


I can only assume that you are embarrassed to be associated with the 'Cave of Cool' and that gives Cal a sad.

My unlimited love to you all.

13 comments:

DrGoat said...

Hey, I try my best. Some times when you get old, you just can't come up with sh*t the way you used too. And I told you before that I have a very low tolerance as far as baby pictures go, so if you make good with that threat, I'll have to double my meds.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I personally promise you that for all you do for me and for the value I put on our friendship, I will NEVER caption another baby for the rest of my life. You are not one of the people I was bitching at, I hope you know that. I will give the same message to the other 'irregulars' that give me more than I ever return to them.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Don't feel bad, Cal. The greatest artists are never appreciated in their own time. Look at that poor bastard Van Gogh. Don't go cutting off your ear or anything rash now. And FOR GOD'S SAKE don't caption baby photos.

Belle said...

I'm not sure why lots of people never comment. Maybe they aren't bubbling over with opinions like me. I have an opinion on almost everything and I feel I must share it with the universe.

Daisy said...

I hangs my head in shame...

Jordan said...

I'll tell you something, Cal: I generally can't stand the whole LOLCats ethos...except when YOU do it. There's something about your approach that totally cracks me up, mainly because you imbue the cats with such delightfully rascally personalities that demonstrate your deep understanding of and love of all things feline. I never comment because, basically, it just seems redundant: you're so clearly in command of the form, and you so obviously know it, that there doesn't seem to be anything to add. I could just repeat "These are all great" every time, I guess...

Jordan said...

P.S. I especially like your cross-species stuff, with the cats and dogs pretending they don't like each other because "it wouldn't look good" or whatever.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thank you Jordan. Thats all I needed to hear. That wasn't so hard to say now was it. Jeez you people.

csmith2884 said...

We have talked before about me being a dog guy. So I must limit my comments about the cat pictures. And my first Grandbaby was born this week so I have little fear of baby captions. I do appreciate when you mix in big cats and dogs.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Look at you grandpa. That is cool. What do you get called? Boy or girl? Soak up that fresh baby smell for as long as it lasts.

csmith2884 said...

Grandpa C ...and she is a beauty Skye Elizabeth Gene Johnson

Sarah said...

I've been waiting and waiting for my Bama to get captioned by you! Ever since Gizmo appeared on your sight and she hasn't she's been inconsolable.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You need to send me some interesting picture of the two of them and I will think up something great for you to post on your fridge.