Wednesday, September 1, 2010

100 Mile Traffic Jam


For all the modern progress that China has made, they still can't quite figure out how to move goods and services without causing huge traffic jams. For more than ten days there has been a near 100 km long traffic jam between Beijing-Zhangjiakou and may not be able to move until the road is finished sometimes next month. Welcome to the modern age guys. It's called PLANNING.

Many nearby villages are making a mind by selling food and water to those vehicles who can move less than a km a day if they are lucky. I guess the symbol for crisis in the Chinese IS the same one for opportunity.

10 comments:

Nick Ward said...

I'm so glad I work at home. In New Zealand. The last traffic jam I got caught in here I was stuck for 15 minutes. It was hell.

Tempo said...

Nice one Nick...LOL
Why would you even bother to join the line? I'd just run off the road and make camp under a tree or something...imagine the fuel you could use.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is just insane!

Wings1295 said...

Zoinks... Thought it was over by now!

Kal said...

Those Chinese have to learn everything about western ways of business the hard way.

Pearl said...

Wow. I had no idea!

Pearl

Kal said...

That is because you take the bus and they make no allowances for the bus lane. Can you believe 10 days trapped on the bus, Pearl, you would would be taking lives and drinking out of skulls like the crazy guy on the winnipeg greyhound bus.

Tom said...

I got stressed out just hearing that story. I can not stand traffic. I'm grateful I don't commute in rush hour every day.

Siskoid said...

Oh my lord, it's the Doctor Who episode Gridlock. It really happened!

DrGoat said...

I lived in LA back in the early 70s, got stuck in a few hour long traffic jams. During the summer is the worst. The fumes from the cars becomes a mini smog event. Really bad for you. It was one of the reasons I moved back to Tucson.