Sunday, February 12, 2012

DC Comics Make Calvin Cry


Just tell me exciting superhero stories. Stop messing with looks/costumes which are timeless. And talking away the boob window from Power Girl shows just how little you understand the love and respect we males have for our super heroines.


Anyone who has ever READ a Powergirl comic know how the 'boob window' is played for laughs and to make a point about the look of female heroes. Fantastic girl power stories that show the more 'human' side of superhuman came out of that approach. When done well, it can be a very satisfying bit of storytelling to read. Powergirl has long been such a comic. Will I read the boobless version? Probably not because it's a nothing issue but allows me to feel like I am taking a side.


I don't like the way Wonder Woman's costume has become so armoured and this 'layered armour' on Batman makes him look slow and not sleek or silent as he should be. All this appears to be an 'Elseworld' story that I am really trying to enjoy. Nothing feel permanent. Everything is on hold for the next change.


The less said about Superman's new look the better. Something is a classic for a reason. What the hell does this new costume prove? You can't improve on Superman. He was the first, he is the best. How about some respect here DC?

I am choosing this time to wait out many of these story arcs until they are released as graphic novels. I will read more reviews from people I trust before just diving into endless 'events'. I will seek out new independent publishers and champion those great creators and titles that I enjoy.

Thanks to Mike D for flipping this one to me.

http://nerdbastards.com/2012/02/11/dc-rolls-out-new-costumes-for-earth-2-heroes-more-importantly-power-girls-boob-window-gone/




By Mark West

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I dunno. Maybe they're trying to dodge the accusations of sexism to Starfire, Catwoman and Harley Quinn by covering up Power Girl, you know, the one character whose personality is all about flaunting what shes got.

At least Huntress costume looks practical. It hasn't been that way in a while.

If you are going to close up Power Girl's boob window, why not put some thought into the chest insignia? The "P" is passable here, but I dare you to tell me that this "PG" logo isn't better:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/308/b/6/Power_Girl_loves_Oscar_Mayer_by_CallMePo.jpg

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

The reason Superman wore the "shorts" on the outside, was because that was how circus strongmen dressed in the 1930s. Different segments of the body were colored so that people high up in the nose bleed section could tell what muscles the strongman was flexing and then people knew what looking at from far away. It was visual shorthand to let us know "This man is strong"

If DC wants to ditch that aspect because they feel its dated, I can understand, but what does this new suit tell me about how strong he is, how noble he is, how dedicated he is to justice?

Also, Wonder Woman. She originally had bare arms and legs because she was the greatest athlete on an island of the world's greatest athletes. You could she her muscles and you knew she was strong and fast. Her tiara was small and lightweight, serving as a token of her heritage and designed not to get in the way. If you want to give her pants, I have no problem with that. If you want to give her armor, thats fine, but make it a full suit of armor like in Elizabeth: The Golden Age or her armor from "Kingdom Come" or something because these clip on accessories in this cover don't make sense!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That weiner ad you send me made my point. There is room for the kind of pin-up 'wink wink' that is perfect for a 'Powergirl' or a 'Liberty Meadows' or any women that Frank Cho draws.

I like my Superman to look traditional because he is all about tradition. I want my WW to be godlike because she is a god and I want my Batman to be a ninji who uses to shadows. I don't want extreme contrasts in their looks. Like I said, it seems like an Elseworld's story than a unified universe. I just didn't care enough to keep up with more than a couple of titles and that is bad. I wish comics could find a business model that works.

david_b said...

A bit much at my first glance, I don't mind the boob window much at all. As mentioned, you had years of Starfire in the Titans, which was nice.

When I grew up, you had Scarlet Witch on covers like Avengers 161, Red Sonja, and that 'poured-on' Black Widow outfit certainly kept me interested in DD for many years.

So actually focusing on cleavage..? Eh, it's juuuust fine, trust me.

Nathan said...

I actually think the picture of Power Girl WITHOUT the boob window looks more suggestive.

The Flying Dachshund said...

Any one else notice the boob reduction she got? Maybe that's why it's taken PG so long to go into action as a Super-Heroine in the DCNU...