Saturday, May 2, 2009

S. Darko


Anyone who has read my blog (and committed it to memory like you should have...bitches) will know that Donnie Darko is one of my all time favorite films. I resisted seeing it for stupid reason (it starred that punk Jake Gyllenhal and Patrick Swazie in a NON-bouncing, NON-presidential wearing masked bank robber role)And after hearing it was becoming a cult film I was further put off but always kept it in my mind. Many movies (especially by the great John Waters) are cult films and I like to think that I 'GET' movies and tv shows that are just slightly off in bizarro territory. Of course upon first viewing I was so spellbound I stayed up nine hours for the early morning repeat viewing and I was instantly a huge fan. The psychological ruminations of life, death, time travel, the nature of fate and even the excistence of God are all brilliantly blended together as we watch Donnie's life spin out of control. His demons compel him to acts of violence while he tries to be normal in a world that is anything but. Donnie knows the hypocracy we all face in our everyday lives must be challenged, not accepted. Oh and it had SPARKLE NATION - only the best pre-teen cheerleader/dance troup ever. So when I read this week that the DIRECT TO DVD release (never a good thing) of S.Darko the sequel set 7 years after Donnie's death and featuring his liitle sister going on her own wild ride through the events leading up to the supposed end of the world I just had to find it and give it a chance. I found the traier had the same obtuse Darko elements that demanded repeat viewing and thoughful analysis to explain to others just exactly what was going on. Its high concept high psychcologic and philosophical issues demand study. From the movies internet site comes this synopsis and the trailer I think that its strong enough to seek out this movie for a fair review of my own.

"S. Darko takes place in the summer of 1995, seven years after the original film. It follows Donnie Darko's younger sister, Samantha (Daveigh Chase), who, in the wake of his death, has found herself at age 17 with a broken family, mired in feelings of insignificance. She and her best friend Corey (Evigan) set off on a road trip to Hollywood in a bid to 'make it big', but their journey is cut short when their car breaks down unexpectedly, leaving them stranded in a small desert town. When a meteorite happens to crash-land nearby, Samantha is plagued by bizarre visions telling of the universe's end and it appears that their breakdown was part of some grander plan. When she finds out she was actually adopted by the Darkos, and that she is in no way related to Donnie, she must face her own demons and, in doing so, save the world and herself."



I am still waiting for my Daria Darko movie because she was awesome. Actually another of my cartoon dream girls...smart, sarcastic, wickedly funny and deeply flawed like me. And I am a sucker for the glasses on her and of course the Baroness.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

One of my favorite actors is in this movie... Jackson Rathbone. Totally hot, great actor, fabulously awesome. Watch out for him. I won't be seeing this movie... my dad won't let me, and I guess if it's a depressing movie, I see his point.

Caroline Morneau said...

Is the movie out yet in Canada? I know that his USA release date was the 28th, but I can't find it in Canada.