Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential Toys


I agree with many of these choices. For me it begins and ends with action figures. They had the most impact on my life. G.I. Joe, Big Jim, Johnny West, Mego were all terrific. I have a serious collecting vibe and living in what I like the call 'The Golden Age of Action Figures' has only spurred me on.


I have told the story about how all my childhood toys were lost when we returned from living in Europe. I lived with that pain for a long time until I saw this Dr. Strange figure in the toy aisle. He was beautiful. The look was spot on and I really liked the fact that his molded cape gave the illusion that he was floating. From then on there was no stopping me.


I opened the first two dozen or so packages for display and play purposes but then I stopped doing that. I really liked the way the figures looked with their packaging so since then I open very few. (I will post pictures from my collection later in the week. I need a new card reader so that I can transfer the pictures from the digital camera. The cord that came with the camera was another victim of Fluffy's chewing spree.)

From there I got into EBAY because they offered such great deals and often whole sets of figures from a single line for unbelievably low prices. I enjoyed that until I got poached one too many times from someone getting a bid in on the last minute. Losing the 'Shadow Cab' from the movie's line of toys was the final straw for me. This is a beautiful vehicle. I didn't need to hope and have that hope dashed anymore.


Since then I have found a great action figure store out of Montreal that gives me great deals and selection so for now I will stick with them. I wish I could find a place closer since our local comic/action figure store closed it's doors. Damn you recession. Every time I do visit Calgary, however I check out the great stores they have there.


For you ladies that don't understand the thrill I get entering a specialty store that is full of action figures and comic book related merchandise, try to image a shoe store with a massive variety or footwear. Yeh, that glazed over look you are getting by thinking of that is exactly the way I feel.


What toys from the list are most memorable to you? Aside from what I mentioned above, I really loved 'Barrel of Monkeys' for the challenge it brought to any car ride. Try making your monkey chain stay together in a moving car sometimes. It's still a challenge to this day. They say you shouldn't tweet while driving but trust me, 'monkey chaining' while driving is ten times more dangerous.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,2049243,00.html

17 comments:

TS Hendrik said...

I'll try not to mention the 'L' word when talking about toys. I know how much legos upsets you so. Oops...

Action figures were very big for me. They really helped form how I write as odd as that may seem.

superharley said...

Man this brings back memories. I had a little bit of everything it seemed in action figures: Spider-man TAS, Batman, Superman, TMNT, RoboCop, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Silverhawkes, ThunderCats, Pokemon, Digimon, Gundam, Dragonball Z. The sheer amount of Power Rangers stuff I had was crazy. I miss those days. Being an only child I was a little spoiled by my Mother.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I can totally see that TS. From all the imaginary adeventures you took them on. I too made up many stories in my head as a kid. Reading comics helped too. Like you, I can weave a tale with the best of them.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Some late eighties, early nineties goodness in your list Harley. Do you still have them to this day?

D.I. Felipe González said...

I've still got my #68 & #69 toys. I was missing the Starbird (one of my coolest electronic toys of all time)in that list: http://flic.kr/p/6ck1ui

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Have you ever noticed how dolls for girls are called "dolls" but dolls for boys are called "action figures"? What's in a name, indeed.

Kal said...

Because once you dress up your dolls they don't invade Hitler's Bunker or Gargomel's Castle. They do no 'action'. They just wait for some boy to come around and marry them. OOOOO SNAP!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh no, Kal, my dolls got plenty of action -- all girl on girl!

Kal said...

Barbie slumber parties - my argument is suddenly invalid.

Nick Ward said...

The Shadow car is modeled as on a car called a Cord which was a car my father always wanted to own. When I was a kid he bought one and restored it. I was an amazing car. Thanks for taking me back Kal...

http://www.dyna.co.za/cars/Cord_37_Super_Charged_White_sf.jpg

Sarah said...

Sock monkeys. We had two in the house growing up named Bert and QueerBert. My dad would say QueerBert was looking at him and then proceed to beat the monkey up making my sister & I laugh.

Bubbles! Who doesn't love bubbles?

Sorry Kal, Legos are awesome.

Since I'm a child of the 80's, my favorites would be My Little Ponies, Glo Worms, Pound Puppies and the Koosh ball.

JBond said...

I see that G.I. Joes made the 'Time...' list for the 1960's..but, how could they dis them in the 80's? That was probably the BEST toyline of that decade and most influential on other toylines that decade.

I like My M.A.S.K and TMNT, and He-Man figures as well. I like the TMNT toys included all of the 'gross-out' stuff that was happening around that time...slime, insects...ooze. My mom had one rule, though...she wasn't helping to fund my collecting of more than one or 2 toy lines...so I had to convince her that Turtles could be played with in Eternia and M.A.S.K. in G.I. Joe land.

Kal said...

I LOVED Legos Sarah. When they were just squares and rectangles I loved them. Then they went all hip. Those kids today don't know how good they got it. I am just bitter that it took twenty years for some goober in Lego central to decide that maybe my lego house could have a window.

From Star Wars on I never collect the 3 inch figures. Not when I had lived with 12 inch GI Joes and 8 inch Mego figures. I did however like He-Man. He was a return to a larger size figure.

Kal said...

I watched ten minutes of the MY LITTLE PONY movie the other day and I think it GAVE me diabetes. So sickly sweet. Where were the gunbattles and the car chases. Okay they were horses but still.

JBond said...

Mego Figures?! MEGO FIGURES!?

...man I loved those! I used to interchange their one-piece pajamas with the feet in them that Mego called costumes...and sometimes I'd draw different mustaches and beards on their rubber heads with a pencil...because you could just wipe them off with soap and water. OH fun times!

Kal said...

JB - I just ordered my re-issue Star Trek figures, and a Mego Batman and Aquaman to boot. They have these CommanderX figures that you order from their site that are also Mego sized with cloth costumes. They inspire me to create Cave of Cool figures.

Kal said...

OH and that car is terrific Nick.