Saturday, April 20, 2013

A-Z Challenge - S Is For Spartacus. I AM SPARTACUS!




I have been watching this series from the beginning knowing full well that the bitterest of bitter ends was the only way this story could end. Historically we know what happen to the leader of the Roman slave rebellion. Popular myth, legend and good old computer effects have fashioned what for me will be my definitive tale of this heroic Thracian, who had everything taken from him but his strength of will and his honor. With that he defied an Empire and inspired freedom for all at a time when freedom was afforded to so few.



Sure the show is bloody and violent and sexual and more bloody but it's also riveting storytelling with action sequences that rival anything ever created for television. If you have seen the movie 300, then you know the kind of battle visuals to expect - death and blood in glorious slow motion. If you want to know what REALLY happen in the gladiatorial arenas of ancient Rome, this is what you need to see. Every stabbing, decapitation and squirting artery is there on display. I understand why the citizen lusted for it so. It's like Survivor mixed with Battle Royal and the Hunger Games...with sex.


 
I am happy to see that actors who have committed to the whole Spartacus series of seasons - have been getting really juicy scenes at the end. If you have to die why not make it a magnificent death? I feared that after the original actor who played Spartacus died of cancer that the show would be cancelled but after some great recasting, the program continued for 3 more seasons.

I have to also credit STARZ who didn't go cheap on the show in the later years. The effects and sets and actors and fight choreography has remained top notch. Once you get into the language everyone speaks (a combination of Shakespearean English with modern English curse words) it has it's own sense of time and place.



Sure Spartacus is often the most gratuitous of smut but it's always interesting smut to watch. This is a show I pay attention to and not just have it playing in the background while I am doing all my multitasking.

 
 
Vikings has taken the place of Spartacus now that the show is coming to an end. It was a hell of a ride that I hope many of you will take a chance on if you want an interesting show with interesting characters and adventures that took place at an interesting time in history.

I know I will miss it.

This is the order to watch the entire series:
 
Spartacus - Blood And Sand (13 episodes)
Spartacus - Gods Of The Arena (6 episodes)
Spartacus - Vengeance (10 episodes)
Spartacus - War Of The Damned (10 episodes)
 

1 comment:

Rosie Amber said...

Hi you have some great art work here, just dropping by from the AtoZ Challenge, I have set up a link to your blog from my post today, Happy blogging..
http://wp.me/p2Eu3u-hN