Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Last Airbender


I had heard terrible things about this movie and I fully intended to turn it off the second it got tedious but I found myself at the end of it after the hour and a half running time. Sure I multitasked while watching it but it really wasn't as bad as I had heard. I have only a passing familiarity with the cartoon it is based on but I got into the story and I am sure that when all three parts are done (if they let M. Night complete his trilogy) there will be something worthwhile here.


I think the trick is to NOT be a huge fan of the cartoon (although now that I have got a taste of it's themes of loyalty and betrayal and the mystical strength of the four elements, I think I will be catching up on the series from the beginning) because the expectations of those fans were impossible high and from what I read, not reached by the director.


But those, like me, who didn't know their airbender from an air guitar, seemed to like the movie a lot more. There is alot going on on screen and the effects and characters would keep a child interested in the tale. I hope FILM FATHER does a review of this one. I would be interested in what his young boy Dash thought about it. The violence is cartoony and the themes are appropriate for young kids.

Maybe it caught me at the right time but I have seen worse movies this week. I say catch it on TV is about a year.

8 comments:

Budd said...

This is the only positive review of the series I have seen. We are big fans of the cartoon in our house. and the cartoon is that good. Giving m. night only 3 movies to do the whole series was a huge mistake. This could have easily filled out 6 movies but by that time Noah Ringer would have been in his 30's.

Mike D. said...

As a huge fan ofthe cartoon, I can't wait to see this movie. Just havent had the time yet. Since when do critics no anything??? I form my own opinions. As far as catching up goes, all three seasons of the cartoon are available for free instant streaming on Netflix. I recently re watched them, and they are great!!! Enjoy Cal...

The Invisible Seductress said...

I love the toon. Me and the spawns are hooked on it. I am hoping the true character quirks translate because I have gotten to know each one. It is a very entertaining and funny show to me. I am a bit nervous to take the ultimate fan (my oldest) she has already set the bar so high for it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have heard that fans weren't happy. But I liked it. I have the cartoon downloading now. I like when I can go back and catch up on something I missed in one shot.

Cap'n Carrot said...

You are much more forgiving than I was for this flick. I've never seen the series (and never want to thanks to bad aftertaste this version left in my mouth), but I have to assume it's better than this.

The acting, writing, and dialogue were horrible (not to mention the condescending narration!). I did like the visual style of the film but then a character opened his mouth and I wanted to slit my wrists again. If they would just shut up and allowed the look of the film room to breathe... Sigh.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I was fully expecting to hate it and trust me, there was no one more surprised than me that I didn't. It wasn't 'Lord of the Rings' but it wasn't 'Marmaduke' either.

Budd said...

cap'n Carrot-Don't give up on the show before you start it. It is great. It starts out kind of cartoony but the characters grow and develop.

Pat Tillett said...

I liked the cartoon and will give the movie a chance. If you like it, I'll probably like it.