Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stupid Crow Update


Did you know that crows all have unique vocal squawks? This way you can tell one from the other. Ask me how I know this. Because the same crow that makes noises in my yard was joined by an equally noisy buddy who sounded entirely different. The two of them (with their mute partner who says nothing so I have no problem with) buzzed the yard all day. Since it's been extra cold and rainy here the past several days they were making up for lost time being assholes, I guess.

So Admiral Fluffy asked to get let out today. Usually he goes out for a bit then comes in and sleeps the day away. However, today was different. Today he only came in to eat and get some water and then was back outside. He sat in his chair and just watched them damn crows making trouble.

I have seen him like this before. During the lone mouse invasion of 2007. He waited and waited for that mouse to make one wrong move and SNAP - it was Admiral ONE, dead mouse ZERO. He had that same intense look in his eyes when he was studying those stupid crows.

I watched him plotting their flight patterns and favorite landing perches - doing the math and calculating vectors IN HIS HEAD mind you. I almost felt bad for those crows - ALMOST. They have no idea how the circle is tightening around them. My best cat is a patient hunter and will only need to use a minimal amount of effort when his moment comes. Watching him work is magic truly is a thing of beauty.

So, I should be reporting to you in the near future how I came outside one day to find three and maybe four yappy crows lined up neatly for my post mortem inspection. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

Keep an eye on the one that doesn't say anything. You know that those crows are the most dangerous of all. He's probably the ringleader.

Budd said...

Hopefully those crows don't gang up on him. I love watching cats hunt.

DrGoat said...

Admiral Fluffy better be on his best game. They don't call them a murder of crows for nothing.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

And he doesn't have a notched collar for nothing.

Pat Tillett said...

That's what I love about cats. As sweet and purry as they are, barely beneath the surface lurks a wild animal.

I would love to let our cats outside, but where I live a cat that goes outside has a lifespan of about 1 day. There are coyotes and birds of prey everywhere. Too bad! Or good, I'm not sure which...

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I wish mine would be an indoor kitty. Believe me we tried, Pat and during the cold winter he never goes out by his choice. But in the summer it's so hard to hear him meow to be let out and he really is good about staying around the house and coming in when called. We only have bunnies around here so he is safe and has been for 14 years.