Thursday, July 8, 2010

Work Of Art


I have mentioned before that I really enjoy the process of design. I like to see the idea of something spark a finished creation. 'Project Runway' is a favorite show of mine for that reason. I also like the character of artists and designers. Lots to get catty over because of their weirdness.

This year the new show 'Work of Art' takes the same idea and does for modern art what PR did for fashion design. They even have a Tim Gunn like mentor in Simon du Pury who I understand has his own very important art gallery in New York.


He is a good mentor who like Tim doesn't judge but encourages.

But art is fickle. It has very few rules unlike fashion. Therefor, the impact that a piece of art has on those judging it is purely subjective. What I may think is crap can be seen by others as brilliance. For that reason I like this show. I am educated about things I may not be aware of.

In the end, however, we all hold our own council. I frequently return to that famous quote by Mr Burns, "I don't know art, but I know what I hate. And I don't hate this." Each episode I see many pieces that I don't hate after I witness the process involved in it's creation. And that is entertainment to me.

4 comments:

Dr. MVM said...

I am loving this show but I'm seriously hating on the chick with big tits who says she hates men looking at her but somehow she manages to wear skimpy clothes to get them to look at her.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yeh, she is an idiot. Look how fast she got into the bathroom to take pictures of herself. And you know that now that she has found her 'theme' that she is going to do something lame that the judges hate because art IS fickle. Enjoy being the flavor of the day, bitch. But I hate Mr Sleepy OCD more. What a dork.

JBond said...

I totally love this show. As an avid viewer of 'Project Runway' since season 2, I completely agree with you that the show is very similar yet how the dynamic on 'Work of Art' is a little different since art is much more subjective. There's been a few episodes, and you may disagree, where I'm just like "..really that won the competition, Really?" or "I can't believe that lost this week!!"

On top of that. I get the feeling that 90% of the competitors have some kind of severe social disorder. Either way, it makes for a great show!

I'm glad to see there's someone other than my girlfriend and I each week. Cool!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I am nothing if not hip.