Saturday, August 7, 2010

New Man Without Fear??






I am a big fan of the art of Francesco Francavilla. Marvel is apparently teasing that there will be a new 'Man Without Fear' after 'Shadowland' runs it's course. I just wish they had waited a bit because I now know that Daredevil will not come out well on the other side of this event and that is spoiling my enjoyment of the story.

I am enjoying 'Shadowland because it doesn't involve the whole Marvel Universe but focuses on the 'street level' characters like DD, Spider Man, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Moon Knight.

DareDevil is front and center as his soul becomes corrupted after taking leadership of 'The Hand', the ninjas of darkness who have been his enemies for most of his career as a superhero. He thinks that by leading them he can change them and he is not the first one through time to think that they could accomplish this. But "The Hand' is very powerful and by turning DD to the dark side they have effectively put their greatest enemy to work for them.

These are the characters Marvel is putting forward as DareDevil's successor. Who do you think would be best to protect Hell's Kitchen? (And YES, that is Kraven back from the dead. UGH!)

Actually Kraven is my first choice. If they brought him back I would like to see them do something with him and having him run into Spider Man in the same city will make for some cool moments. Plus the whole 'redemption of Kraven' storyline would be interesting. Some of the coolest comic book tales involve a villain seeing the light and working towards being a hero. That is what made the 'Thunderbolts' such a fun comic to read.

Of the others I would be okay with either the Black Panther (who can learn lessons about life in the inner city and the REAL Black experience) or Falcon who is a product of those mean streets and knows them well.

Nova is a cosmic hero - PERIOD! He needs to be out in space anchoring Marvel's terrific cosmic storylines. He is definitely NOT 'street level'.

As for the last choice, I hate Gambit and always have. I just don't get why he is so cool. I hate that freakin' headgear he would wear (Why have something on your head that DOES NOT protect your identity?) and if I have to see another energized playing card and ONLY energized playing cards as proof of his power, I am going to puke up my breakfast. The way his accent is written also annoys me. No one seems to be able to get the 'cajun' speak right.

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Lazarus Lupin said...

Kraven would be cool, would it be heretical to suggest a bit of a costume change to reflect the urban environment?

Lazarus Lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review