Saturday, August 14, 2010

Frog and Toad Together


Someone on Tumblr just posted a picture of these two magnificent amphibians and I instantly was transported to a simpler time. This was the first book I ever ordered and paid for with my own money from one of those fantastic Scholastic Book fliers we got in elementary school.

I took one look at that cover and I had to know more. Which was Frog and which was Toad? Why do neither of them have shirts or shoes? Why are they wearing clothing at all? Why does one have a hat and the other doesn't? Where did they get that bike? Why do they even HAVE not only a bike but one that is built for two to ride? Why are they friends?

11 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Frogs and toads as friends! This is probably illegal in some states...

Nathan said...

I would imagine the smaller brown one is Toad, unless their names don't correspond to their species.

M. D. Jackson said...

That's funny. That was exactly my story with Toad and Frog. I ordered it from the Scholastic Book fliers because I had to know more.

I loved that book. It was one of my favourites. I found it really hilarious and touching although I can remember nothing specific about it except that at one point Toad says "Bleah!"

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

It kind of makes you want to take up a collection to donate shoes to Frog and Toad.
My first book was Sam I Am. Sam was a snake, who wore no clothes.
xoRobyn

DrGoat said...

And how did Toad know how to drive a motorcar? Or get enough money to live in a big mansion. I really didn't need to know but I wondered about it.

Hart Johnson said...

Very good questions when we are talking frogs and toads, i think! I mostly wanted to know how come kissing a frog got you a prince, while kissing a toad got you warts. I was girlie that way.

Megan said...

We've got a couple Frog & Toad books. The offspring wore them out.

Where you been today?

Sez said...

Hi Cal,
Are you okay and just busy or is there something ominous or even dire happening?

I hope your stalker hasn't caused any harm.

Concernfully yours,
Sez

Megan said...

Not freaking out yet. But it's close. Just so you know.

-Warren Zoell said...

Cal I hope everything is fine and your just taking a break.

Kal said...

First of all, KAL, does not take breaks. I am nothing if not moody and prolific (like toad was or was that frog) We hit a perfect storm here at our house - big screen tv down, computer crashed, Cal get a fever from a growth caused by a blocked gland, mother panics to leave me alone - to make a long story short, growth drained, fever down, talks with frog and toad mysteriously stop soon after, new computer makes me crazy.