Sunday, August 8, 2010

WHAAAAAAT? How Did They Find This Out???


I quote from a tumblr post:

“In Kanata (Canada), he writes, “inhabitants are kindly and hospitable to strangers,” but “the people living in the mountains kill one another all year round and spend their time in fighting and robbery.” “They feed exclusively on snakes, ants, spiders, and other creeping things,” he continues. - Matteo Ricci World Map (1602)”

Don't knock snake, ant and spider poutine until you have tried it. Or I will KILL you. We don't need to pretend anymore.

7 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

*snickersnort* Can I ask WHEN that was written? My family tree spent some time in Canada, and i can only hope I had relatives involved in spreading this rumor.

Copyboy said...

See I thought that was an old Alpha Flight quote.

Kal said...

I think it was from an old article about Canada. 1900 maybe? Who says it's only a rumor Hart?

Copyboy - LOL - Alpha Flight

Siskoid said...

All I can confirm is that I have, indeed, eaten snake.

Make of that what you will.

Drake said...

Hmm sounds like a Florida diet. Need some BBQ Rattler?

Siskoid said...

It was rattler soup, and in Texas.

Mercurius Aulicus said...

Isn't it usual practice to provide links to posts that are quoted?

http://chryselephantine.tumblr.com/post/788923202/in-kanata-canada-he-writes-inhabitants-are

The quotes are from The Matteo Ricci World Map (1602)