Friday, August 27, 2010

Military - Ready To Eat Meals

One of the coolest things about being an army brat was getting my Dad to bring home those pre-packaged daily meal packs. You felt like some post-apocalypse survivor when you had them in your lunch. He could never figure out why we loved them so but we always had them stacked in the pantry.

They had tubed cheese, jam, and peanut butter and the best cracker package in the whole world. Deviled ham was also my favorite and it was the brand named stuff with the paper over the tin can wrapper that we all know.

Today I read an article about the current food provided for American troops and they are not much different from the Canadian ones. I do however, love the little extras packet with Tobasco sauce, Chiclets and toilet paper.




Check out the link for a full review of the 'merican MRE's if you are interested.

http://travis.kroh.net/archives/003090.php

10 comments:

M. D. Jackson said...

I thought Canadian soldiers just ate Kraft Dinner, just like the rest of the citizens of Canada.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Military rations look about the same on boths sides of the border!

Tempo said...

My brotherinlaw gave me a hexamine stove and fuel tabs when he was de-mobbed after Vietnam. It was the coolest thing and I kept it for many years until my mum cleaned my room...

Kal said...

Kraft Dinner amd two beew -plus one for breakfast. MMMMMM boy. pluw i ha some TOBASCO And poop to fightwith with.

Margaret Benbow said...

IN WWII war movies the soldiers always seemed to be spooning up beans or stew. Of course toilet paper was never mentioned. Kal, your dad's rations seem a lot more varied and sophisticated!

vancouver mark said...

Cal...?

The Cave is quiet for so long....

Is all well?

vancouver mark said...

Really probably wouldn't eat too much of that old military pack stuff crap, really, no...

Laura said...

Yum! :)
Where art thou Cal???
It's been like.. 73 hours since your last post. Quite unlike you unless you're not well or the comp is giving your grief again. :(

Hoping that you are OK friend. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Budd said...

I got my fill of these when I was in, but apparently they have improved some of the recipes. the chocolate covered cookie bar is the best thing in them, hands down.

Pat Tillett said...

I've had lots of military rations and while in Viet Nam traded them for just about everything imaginable. They have just as much buying power as money...