Friday, July 8, 2022

Thor - Love And Thunder


I only expected one thing going into this film - that the same creative team behind Thor - Ragnarok put the same kind of creative energy into this sequel which looks from all trailers to be another comedy adventure romp - the perfect summer blockbuster. I don't want to overthink things. I just want to see some of my favorite MCU character charge around the Universe making trouble or trying to prevent it.

In the end I got a story that seems a holdover from the last phase of the MCU because it does tread a lot of familiar ground. It tells me basically that this is the last Thor movie I need to see for awhile though I always enjoyed Chris Hemsworth's portrayal of the character and would welcome his part in any large hero film in the future.. There is just no where for him to go, story wise. I am ready for fresher heroes to find their moment on the big screen moving forward.

This time Thor does battle with the God Killer played by Christian Bale after once again gathering a team to assist him. They include Valkyrie and Jane Foster's Mighty Thor (Natalie Portman). Like everyone on the cast she is very game for her chance to play the hero and got totally buff to play the role.

Korg (voiced by director Taika Waititi) is back for comedy relief but the film really misses the mischief of Tom Hiddleson's Loki who is off on adventures of his own in the multiverse.


Russel Crowe steals the show as Zeus. For once he seems to get the joke that is Russel Crowe playing Zeus with HIS Dad bod. Some other fun examples of stunt casting are at work here also so look for them.




You can wait to see it because it will be on some streaming platform in a couple of months. But see it you should to close a chapter in the journey of one of Marvel Comic's signature characters. It's nothing new but feels comfortable in it's familiarity.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I didn't even recognize Russell Crowe but laughed when I heard who Zeus was. Yes, this movie is getting lukewarm reviews. I will watch it when it hits Disney+.