Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Again With The Sailing Around The World


WTF is it with all these progressively younger girls wanting to sail around the world? Isn't there any mountains where they live? Isn't there a high school diploma they might want to pursue? Am I the only one that finds this to be lunacy - AGAIN?

Eventually we will be watching some mother put her newborn child in a basket and then push that basket away from the dock hoping that the baby will return as the Prince of Egypt one day.

Why is it so terrible that these child welfare officials want to protect this girl from herself? Then the courts got involved and made them out to be villains for crushing this girl's dream. Trust me, all the courts did was transfer the crushing of dreams to the SEA who is an angry bitch mistress.

No way does a 14 year old have enough experience to attempt what she is attempting. Does THIS one have to die to end this stupid quest or is there another foolish girl with foolish parents waiting in line to take her shot at the limelight.

Can't she just get her fame by having some boy's baby who she then has to take on Maury Povich to prove to him that he is the father? That's how they got famous in my day and had the VHS tape to prove it.

But then again, knowing what I do now, I would have encouraged a then 14 year old Lindsay Lohan to travel the world in a bathtub with oars.

At least no organization including the stupid Guinness record book will no longer recognize the title of 'youngest solo sailing around the world'. Of course they still recognize 'most swords shoved up rectum' and 'biggest maple walnut glazed donut' so we still got that going for us as a species.

"Fourteen-year-old Laura Dekker hopped onto her boat Wednesday and sailed off from the Netherlands, hoping to become the youngest person to make a solo voyage around the world.

About 100 supporters waved as Laura and her father Dick left the Dutch harbour of Den Osse in her 11.5-metre yacht Guppy, bound for Portugal where she plans to leave her father and begin her circumnavigation attempt.

Last week, Laura won a legal battle when a court released her from the guardianship of Dutch child protection agencies. They had blocked her initial plan to depart at age 13 over fears for her safety and psychological health during the trip, which will likely take around a year."

6 comments:

DrGoat said...

A certain percentage of the later generations seem to think that being the center of attention or being famous is the most important thing in their life. The media and television have done their job well. The worship of celebrity is bigger than it ever has been. Not that the older generations were immune to it, but consumerism and celebrity are king now. Look at me, I want it now.

Kal said...

I do to but I don't need the cameras on me showing me as I GET it now. I guess at least this girl is attempting SOMETHING to get her fame. Too bad she wasn't born to famous parents or made a sex tape or had a large ass (that's a twofer) or was always wrecked on drugs on booze. I am reminded of a time when I was teaching when I attended a kindergarten graducation. TO A KID, they all wanted to be POWER RANGERS when they grew up. That says it all.

M. D. Jackson said...

You know, we shouldn't be turning to government agencies to crush a little girls dreams. That's her parents' job.

My daughter knows better than to complain that her life is boring. As soon as she does I say: "You're welcome" and then launch into my speech about how hard I work to make sure her life is boring -- how hard I have planned and worked so that she is able to grow up in a town with no gang violence, how hard I work at our homelife so there isn't constant drama and how hard I work at my job so there is food on the table and a roof over our heads and she doesn't have to worry about where the next meal is coming from. That hard work includes making sure she doesn't do something stupid or dangerous like sailing around the world solo. She can do that after University if she wishes, but not on my damn watch.

You can accuse me of being an ogreish dad, crushing his daughter's dreams, but she is safe and sound and at home and not sailing alone on a rough sea filled with sharks (not to mention cephalopods).

Perhaps more kids should thank their parents for giving them a boring life where all they have to worry about is going to school, keeping up their grades and not hanging with the wrong crowd. I am proud of how boring my kids' lives have been. I worked hard to make it that way.

Kal said...

You sound like a great Dad. I had parents (especially my Dad) who realized that we would be good kids if he insisted on ONE THING and that was doing well in school. To him, we could commit murder and he would help us cut up and get rid of the body but to not do your homework or to get in crap for sassing a teacher was something he had no patience for. He insisted that HIS kids would have University degrees and we both did. Only later did I realize that insisting on something good like education had a positive ripple effect through the rest of our actions and lives.

He only had a great 9 education but got his high school when I was in high school and even took some college courses when I was in college. If that is living a dream through your kids then I am glad he chose that dream and didn't force me to eat 27 goldfish in a row to beat the previous record of 26.

Ricky Shambles said...

I guess I'm lucky to have a 14 year old daughter who wants a ride to her friend's house that lives less than a mile away?

Tempo said...

This shit will keep happening until someone gets killed, then they'll sudenly realise it could be dangerous