Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Making A Murderer

 
Being a big true crime documentary fan, this reality series was already up my alley. It's all the rage on Netflix right now so I thought I would check it out. Not that I would ever watch it on Netflix itself, but that is an entirely different conversation. I am two episodes in and I feel a day long binge coming on. Likes Cops and Jail and Lockup, I eat this stuff up with a spoon.

I wondered at first how they could get 10 episodes worth of material on ONE case - the case of Steven Avery, a man who spent 18 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit. It's such an open and shut case of a miscarriage of justice. His freedom should be the end of the story...but since he got out of jail at the end of episode ONE, you know this case and his involvement with law enforcement is far from over. Small town justice will getcha one way or another. There is no doubt of his innocence in the rape but did he do the murder he is later charged with after leaving jail a vindicated man? Compelling stuff. I hope I get to the end still fascinated by everything going on before me.

The construction of the documentary is very good and the story is easy to follow. Having the video testimony of key players in this high profile case makes all the difference. There is so much meat to chew on here. "Lots of meat on that bone" as one of Avery's lawyers say.

Now after five episodes I am so unsure of the truth that I want to scream at my computer screen. The twists and turns this case takes are dizzying.



2 comments:

csmith2884 said...

I have not watched this yet. However when scrolling around on netflix, I though that guy looked a bit like you. I'm just sayin' don't let them put you in a lineup.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I KNOW...how am I ever going to get a date NOW. I am not a criminal. It's beneath me and my abilities to be caught so easily. It's a twisty road this one. I am hoping for a big pay off at the end. This could be adapted into a scripted show and you wouldn't believe it happened this way.