Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Handmaid's Tale - Official Trailer



If you were a Canadian student you have be tasked to read this Margaret Atwood 'classic' about a dystopian future that is not so far removed from the one we live in these days.

The Handmaid's Tale is a work of speculative fiction by Canadian author Margaret Atwood. Set in a near-future New England, in a totalitarian theocracy which has overthrown the United States government, the dystopian novel explores themes of women in subjugation and the various means by which they gain agency. The novel's title echoes the component parts of Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, which comprises a series of connected stories.

 

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm looking forward to watching this on Bravo. I never read the novel or saw the movie because of the traumatic nature of the dystopian society. But I think I'm ready now!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Really, you have never been forced to read this book for a class. It's not a happy story for sure. I read this and Farenheit 441 in one week and thought I was going to kill myself.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It was first published in 1985, long after my high school and university days so no, I never had to read it for a class.

Ant said...

Is _Farenheit 441_ the prequel to _Farenheit 451_?

/@

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

opps...you are right. It is Farenheit 451. We even had to watch the movie which is terrible.

DrGoat said...

We had to read the Scarlet Letter. Also depressing.