Friday, June 19, 2020

60 Stories By Cal - AC/DC


When I was 16 I went to a six week athletic leadership air cadet camp in Borden Ontario one summer. We ran everywhere but we learned how to teach every sport you could think of, especially if it involved running or more running.

In our room there was a kid who was sweet but slow so we looked out for him. He LOVED Back in Black so we let him play it over and over and over and over again.

Eventually the songs got to me. THEY WERE ALL THE SAME and it drove me crazy after we had just been on another suicide run for no good reason except to make us run some more. Like we didn't already perfect running as a group TWO WEEKS EARLIER. Enough with the running. Then that tape began and I snapped.

I broke the tape thinking that would end it but someone lunatic with a soft heart gave him a replacement cassette so I just had to suffer through that same cassette. There was no escaping AC/DC.

Though I still will say that Shook Me All Night Long is one of the top five greatest rock songs ever. The kid's name was Kirby but we called him Chicken.

True story.

2 comments:

Simon B said...

I've always said that AC/DC based their entire career on the first two songs on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti :-)
That said, their early stuff with the late Bon Scott had more variety but wasn't as popular as the post-Back In Black material.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good story!