Sunday, April 3, 2022

I Got Asked To Interview For https://www.unfinishedman.com/ (Part 1)

 

  • Mind telling my readers a little bit about yourself?

I am 57 years old. I used to be a teacher but after a shooting incident I retired and needed something to do to fill my time and blogging was popular 14 years ago and after checking out several other blogs I decided to start one of my own. I haven't gone a day without posting something. Over 11 million page views and near 50 thousand individual posts is a great achievement I think. It's also a sick look into my own mind,
  • I think your site is super weird, and I love it. What kicked this whole thing off?
SUPER weird? I can agree with weird but I am certainly not that bad. If I am then I don't see it which is pathetic. I blame all the alone time I have accumulated. 

My Father would call my space in the basement the CAVE OF COOL because of all the neat things I always had around from comics and toys and music and books and other things that I felt were cool. I thought that if I started a blog I needed a theme and Calvin's Canadian Cave of Cool was born. My theory was to do a journal of all the cool things that I came across online and that has been my guiding principle since. If I have certified something to be cool then it is COOL. There is no argument about that. I know from Cool. I love travelling through my archives just to see all the cool things I have posted about. I only need to entertain one person and that person is ME.
  • You've got a picture of the Cave of Cool. What's it look like on the inside?


If you can image walls covered in collages and great collectibles all around that would generally be the look. I am single so no one ever told me I could surround myself with what I was interested in. The blog is an extension of all those myriad of interests. For example I used to make collages until the magazine industry died and my source of images dried up. My IMAGE BLIZZARDS are basically my collage worthy images collected in one place. I will hunt for some pictures of the set up I used to have.
  • What are your qualifications to protect the planet?
In all my travels I have acquired the skills and the associates and KNOWLEDGE to help me keep a handle on the oceans full of Octopus which I hate and fear and believe are as close to aliens as we get on this planet. They are so different from us and they are trouble. They rule 7/10th of the planet and they want it ALL!



  • You're definitely the coolest, but who is the second coolest person? Fictional or historical figures are fine too.

Teddy Roosevelt of course. The man was a legend. Oh and The Most Interesting Man in the World.


  • What is your favorite thing about history?
The decisions people make that changes the course of history. The little know heroes that we should know more about. Bravery in the face of overwhelming odds.
  • What are your thoughts on the current state of the world?
I think it's the last thing we need right now is a crazy dictator and the American politicians that support him openly like the Idiot trump. Where is a person with a gun and access when we need it?
  • What important truth do very few people agree with you on?
That whole pineapple on pizza madness, People who think Octopus are FACINATING when they are really abominations, I try to show how cosplayers deserve more respect than they get - I mean the real good ones who are artists. I love to process of creation and comment on the results with my movie and TV reviews. You can trust my opinions because I have always been in love with movies and TV. I also like pimple popping videos and sheep shearing. I could watch that shit all day. And everyone should create something that they put their heart and soul into, Even if only a few see it or no one at all, it matters.



  • What's the future of Calvin's Canadian Cave of Coolness look like?
I will continue to do my posts and hope the page views continue. I hope more people like you see my brand and take an interest in the voodoo that I do. I would like more than just my friends commented on my captions which I started when I was teaching so technically I invented the meme. Taking animal pictures and figuring out what the cat or dog is saying and coming up with a caption was a popular assignment in my English classes way back in the early 90s



Our blog - Balloon Juice is getting ready to return now that I have a stable studio. I miss the one on one contact with my friend MD Jackson who also designed my header,

And of course I hope for the day when my genius is recognized and all that F-You money starts rolling in. The kind of money those toilet paper bears get.

That was lots of fun. What else do you need. I could do other questions. Give some back to you maybe.



7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

F-You Money is the BEST! I hope that dream comes true for you.

Unknown said...

Had a blast with this, looking forward to more!

j-swin said...

Kal! I just got my h.a.c.k.s. Phantom figure from big bad toy store. He’s only 4” tall but damn he’s beautiful. They have Julie Walker too.

Tim Knight said...

Fascinating interview, Cal. A surprising mix of candour and bravado.

Tundra Bunny said...

What Debra said! Your blog is always interesting, illuminating or just plain fun, Cal. Keep those animal captions coming too!

Nick Fury 1015 said...

Cal, your blog has been a go to for me for many years. Your action figure collation is impressive.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Thanks for telling me that. I wish I had room to display everything together. I love that collection for all the cool choices I made over the years.