Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Expanse - Episodes 1-3

 
The three sides - Earth, Mars and the Outer Belt are still fighting against each other while someone else pulls the strings that could lead to all out war between the factions. I hope this show has more than the four episodes shown so far because they can't possibly wrap up all these story threads in one more episode. I am just getting settled into this tale of politics and conspiracy at the highest level. The actors are interesting, the locations are interesting as is the situation these humans live under in the REAL 24th Century. No Next Generation here.

 
I just hope that if this one has an alien component that it's not as goofy as the one in Childhood's End - the last SYFY mini that I just completed. The more I think about it, the more I think that program shit the bed. But The Expanse holds it's secrets close to the vest. I anticipate everything is going to be revealed all at once to cover their inability to craft a well told tale.]

 
I have watched two shows this week that have made me wonder how they got made in the first place. Both The Expanse and Childhood's End didn't have a story worthy of being told. Of course comparing them to Daredevil and Jessica Jones is fair thing to do. Both those stories have something to say and found a great way to say it.

The Expanse has five more unwatched episodes so I will ride it out to see if all this conspiracy pays off like I hope it does. Obviously humanity has met aliens in the Expanse and all the battles between Earth, Mars, and the Outer Rim no longer make any sense. They have a new enemy now that threatens them all. Let's see if I am right.

 
Two hundred years in the future, in a fully colonized Solar System, police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), born in the asteroid belt, is given the assignment to find a missing young woman, Julie Mao (Florence Faivre). Meanwhile, James Holden (Steven Strait), the first officer of an ice freighter, is involved in a tragic incident that threatens to destabilize Earth, Mars and the Belt. Far away from their struggles in space, Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), a United Nations executive, works to prevent war between Earth and Mars by any means necessary. Soon, the three find out that the missing woman and the ice freighter's fate are part a vast conspiracy that threatens all humanity.
 

No comments: