Thursday, December 23, 2021

The King's Man


I swear to the movie Gods that there was a moment during this film that I would have stood up and cheered if that was socially acceptable these days. And how many times did I think that I wouldn't hate it if Ralph Fiennes was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in this movie. I KNOW! It looks to be a throwaway sequel to a franchise create by Brian K. Vaughn but turns out to be one of the most emotionally involving movies I have seen all year.


But it is more than the kind of historical drama that I would have sneaked into the curriculum at Christmas when I was a teacher merely because it mentions the Arch Duke Ferdinand in it's storyline. Don't judge me. It's a really good adventure.


The movie traces the formation of the Kingsman intelligence agency back during WWI. Ralph Fiennes is Lord Oxford, a former pacifist who returns to the fight after he is motivated to fight for King and country. 



I know the critics are beating up on this film but I LOVED it. I mean really loved it. And since when does anything break me out of my dark funk? I just fear that it won't get the audience it deserves. I was totally invested and broken hearted while feeling thrilled at the same time. It's a lot to ask from a movie but it was exactly what I needed in my life right now.


The film is a treatise on the horror of war and the insane duty that it inspires in young men and serves as an example of what it means to be a true hero who works behind the scenes to bring forth a better world.

Again, I LOVED it. Don't let it pass you by. It's one of those films that you will wonder why you never watched it when it was first released. It's a gift to me.

2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The trailer looks good! Anything with Rasputin in it is always worth a watch. And was that a quick glimpse I caught of Daniel Bruhl?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It IS him. He plays Mata Hare's brother with other famous historical figures. Rasputin fights like a Russian ballet dancer and it very dynamic and a little frightening.