Thursday, July 13, 2017

I Don't Want To Say I Told You So But I Told You So

 
I have been reading many reviews of Valerian and it seems that while it is visually fantastic, the two leads are weak. Color me surprised. Cara is so annoying to look at that I want to slap the screen. I will watch it but now I won't feel forced to like it. Luc Besson is also my favorite director. Leon, The Professional? Fifth Element? District 13? District 13 Ultimatum? The man has made many of my favorites of all time.

The kind of movie that soars beyond adjectives like "good" or "bad": it's sincere but overstuffed, visually gorgeous but dramatically clunky, and it represents a singular vision while simultaneously featuring two wildly miscast actors in the lead roles.



 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

They both look like sulky adolescents.

DrGoat said...

No kidding. That picture says it all.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

this movie is gonna tank at the box office on it's opening weekend i can read this one with my eyes closed. till this day i still can't make heads or tales about what The Fifth Element was even about and i hated chris tucker's character in that movie. i suspect Valerian's story line may be quite convoluted as well but i think just the over abundance of fake cgi alone will be it's ticket sales death knell. it's too bad to i really liked Clive Owen in Children of Men and Dane Dehann in Chronicle both awesome sci-fi dramas. even Rhianna was quite enjoyable in BattleShip which was not so awesome but at least had some entertainment value on a weekend afternoon when you've got nothing to do sorta way.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I will watch it but I won't pay to watch it and if I watch it then I can bash it.