Friday, December 23, 2016

Of Course It Was A Flop - It's The Worst Book Every Written By Man

On this day (14 November) in 1851, Moby-Dick, a novel by Herman Melville about the voyage of the whaling ship Pequod, is published by Harper & Brothers in New York. Moby-Dick is now considered a great classic of American literature and contains one of the most famous opening lines in fiction: “Call me Ishmael.” Initially, though, the book about Captain Ahab and his quest for a giant white whale was a flop.

 
After about 200 pages on the process of turning whale blubber into whale oil I screamed ENOUGH out loud in class and tossed the book across the room. I knew there was a classic comic book out there that got to the point without all this drivel and the point is this - Vengeance kills everyone it touches....man....whale.... I GET IT. Then after reading this abomination they showed us the movie and I was ENRAGED that I had to read the book when a movie existed. I VOWED on that day to bash this so called 'classic' to my dying days.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You know of my own epic struggle with this whale of a book. But even after finishing it, it won't leave me alone. I think of it often and ponder Melville's many layers of meanings.

Jonathan Linneman said...

Fone Bone disagrees with you!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

LAYERS OF MEANING??? THERE ARE NO LAYERS. Show me a layer. It's man's insanity and obsession and how it kills everyone within it's wake.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh and how to make a barrel to specifications to contain the whale oil. Plus the many uses of whale oil. GAH!

Simon B said...

"Worst book ever written"? Have you ever read 50 Shades Of Grey...?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Is it 50 shades of whale oil?? No?? Then it's better.